Willys

Indicator idiot light is now on.....fuel

14 posts in this topic

OK, I have presure washed all suspension, brakes and engine compartment to get it clean enough to work on without getting covered in rust proofing substance which coats the entire vehicle so to speak other than the paint work. Normally I'd love this and would be adding constantly to it to preseve things. But, every time I touch something I get covered in it and it gets everywhere.....yes I know, it's doing it's job...but......augh!     So I finally lost it and power washed these areas clean so I can work on it when I need to and will reapply rustcheck in the fall.  

So yesterday when I came to start the car I realized the gas yellow warning light on the centre console was staying lit. It has the gas  pump symbol and what I'm guessing to be a gas tank symbol on it.  What have I presure washed to death that would cause this to appear?  I expect I have washed a sensor somewhere and have water in it but that could be anywhere so I'm asking before I start the dismantlization searching for it......lol.   Hoping someone else has had the same issue and knows exactly what I've done.

Thanks in advance.......fingers are crossed.....waiting for instruction before i wreck something else...lol

I really miss not having a shop type manual to referance as most other vehicles seem to have.....oh well.....it is what it is.

It has been a while since our 450, but I think that what you're describing is the water-in-fuel warning light.  The fuel filter/water separator are under the passenger floor, and by pressure washing the undercarriage you may have forced water or other contaminants in to the senor's connector.

There is no "idiot light" warning for the fuel level. When fuel gets low, it will start doing a flashing countdown usually starting at about 5 litres. This is a liquid crystal display type of thing much like the distance traveled or temperature displays, not a light.  It will show you the fuel remaining in ½ litre increments and there will be an arrow beside that pointing to an image of a service station fuel pump.

I believe that, as dguy suggested, with all the power washing, you may have triggered a sensor or there is water in the fuel filter

OK yes it's the fuel water  seperator light, the yellow one on the centre of the dash between the tach and clock, that small cluster of idicator lights. It's faint but on....I didn't remove the bottom pans to be ablke to spray the underneath where that radiator is that'll be the next target but need to get a better way of lifting the vehicle to be able to get to the areas.  Hmmm....maybe I'll winch the fron up into a tree....and stand it semi upright...???...lol

What I have done so far is lift up the carpet on passanger side , removed the foam carrier for pump etc and found a gallon of clear water no contaminants etc so must have come from either me hiting an opening or from the rain water naturally?  So far it's most dried up using space heaters etc.....ceramic type working well so far, almost dry. Next to move to the rear engine cover carpet and make sure it's completely dry. Then I'll start it and see if that light still shines...?  I have checked the silver box next to battery for any signs of corrosion and found nothing...not surprising seeing it was smart142's smart.....but I'm wondering if anyone uses dilectric grease on your connection terminals...?

Thanks again

Ok, after hours of drying and searching for obvious locations for water leakage points, I have come to wonder about the lower corners of the windshield rubber. Mine are semi loose showing road grime and dirt which could get to the edge of the glass..? So, I know the glass is sealed tight from behind using the black adhesive, so does the rubber actually do anything if we are relying on the ahesive to keep the windshield attached so to speak? It should be a water tight bond no...?   So am I going after a fault that isn't there?  It seems to be the only place I can find that is questionable. Is there any well known location where water has crept into the cabin and soaked the carpets? I'm getting very good at removing the front body work, lol....but just to have a senseless gander I do not know...?...lol Any suggestions would be great...thanks again....

Posted (edited) · Report post

sprinkle baby powder around the outside of windshield on calm day

then roll up the windows and slam the doors..leaks will be apparent

mine would lift the bottom of windshield almost half an inch when i slammed a door

quarter windows usually leak a bit too...

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Damn, no way!!!.....lol

While starting to install a secondary fuse block to power anything I want etc etc, I have noticed corners of the bodywork that do not meet  or aren't sealed at the back of the passanger foot well.....so now I'll be ripping the front off again and getting the spot lights out for closer inspection while it's dark.....looking for seeping light....I thought this was super air tight due to the fact if you do not semi slam the passanger door it won't click in completely due to air being trapped inside etc, opening the window fixes that issue....so instantly thought the thing was air tight which would mean water tight? It's supposed to be a Mercedes after all isn't it....lol.  Oh well, just more time to inspect it completely.....augh!   

I do have the back up camera almost installed and learned about the rear tailgate.....can't wait o find one with a storage compartment inside it, or are they for the later model? Then will they interchange?  I'm also looking at interior body pannels with eyeing them up to sink in add ons etc, so my Smart may become a frankenstien machine.......inside that is.

Quarter lights tend to leak on a coupe. Water also leaks in way of wing mirrors. Door seal runs across screw recessed for wing mirror trim. That’s how water gets inside footwells.  I use foam ear plugs and good electrotape to cover over these recessed. 

My Scottish to Canadian dictionary leads me to think the quarter lights are the plastic pieces you were trying to tint the other day.  Cabrio doesn’t have them but my cabrio still leaks in the rear.

Nigel

Hmmmmmm........maybe so...lol

They aren't the best fitting items on the shelf that's for sure.....and a real bugger to get in and out if you didn't know about those corner locks...lol....thanks, just another item that'll get a dab of the clear stuff...lol  But I may wait to see what the other ones are like before fixing them in almost permanently...lol.  I want tinted ones...lol.     I didn't notice it until I put on my CAA inside window sticker how clear they actually were.....because it is so dark inside you can't see anything but that sticker sticks out like a sore thumb!

I guess I'm fussy as I hate the small things that go wrong and get under your skin....It makes me want to fix them no matter what....and water  is a big thing now...lol

There is a wire, with connector, on the forward side of the battery well that you can only see when the battery is removed. Check that connection.

If it is corroded it will set off that trouble light. Mercedes solution is to cut out the connector and solder the wires together.

Have done this repair 3 times in the past.

1 person likes this

OK, after days of heating the inside of the car, that indicater light has gone out, so next thing will be that connection just to see what it looks like. Thanks Glenn.  

It still isn't completely dry inside as the carpets must still be holding some moisture....they will be sun baked whenever the sun shows it's ugly head......tic tic tic.nope not here yet..?