Kevin123

CV shaft

14 posts in this topic

Hello, new to the board, first real problem with the 2006 smart car since I bought it 3 years ago.  First question, anyone know how much a cv shaft should cost in the Toronto area?  Should I use OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks

Inner boot is available from Smart for about £20 each.  That is what goes kaput on these drive shaft first.  More common though is mechanic damaging the shorter drive shaft by bad work procedures and ignorance.

54 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Inner boot is available from Smart for about £20 each.  That is what goes kaput on these drive shaft first.  More common though is mechanic damaging the shorter drive shaft by bad work procedures and ignorance.

How exactly...?Just so I don't repeat his mistakes...lol

9 hours ago, Willys said:

How exactly...?Just so I don't repeat his mistakes...lol

Drive shaft damage occurs when attempting removing drive shafts.  What goes wrong is unSmart mechanics disconnect rear shock absorbers causing deDion tube axle to drop too low therefore damaging inboard end of short drive shaft usually by puncturing its boot.

Correct procedure is not to disconnect shocks but disconnect each transverse stabilising link instead at their outboard connections to deDion tube axle which then can swing sideways creating sufficient clearance for removal of drive shafts.

Needless to say, wise Smart mechanics will of course slacken off drive shaft centre bolts whilst rear end is still on the ground. Not easy once rear end is sitting on axle stands.

Thank you sir for quick explanation....much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Willys said:

Thank you sir for quick explanation....much appreciated.

I forgot to mention when lowering deDion tube axle too low, the short drive shaft gets bent beyond its limit and suffers damage.  The longer drive shaft does not get bent that much and usually escapes unscathed.

1 person likes this

Where is the safe and best place to put the jack stands while doing this?

I put them where the subframe attaches to the roll cage so to speak.....then shake it a bit to be 1000% sure...lol.  

Did you get shafts yet and where from?  Just curious as I used CTC for brake parts ....and they had them in stock!

I compared aftermarket to Mercedes OEM. For the $100 difference I went with OEM

Good call on the half shafts...imho.

Imho they aren't what I call wear items like brakes  etc....more of a must have best quality....so to speak.

I thought that the replacement of CV shafts was to solve the problem of corroded/cracked reluctor rings. If so, replacement of the rings was deemed to be the most economical solution, after much discussion on this forum and others. Dealers cannot source them from M-B, but they are available. I can confirm that they work as well as the originals.