Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Hand Brake sticks on......

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK, found a new issue which is disturbing, I always use the handbrake when parking...but have noticed that after a few days of not driving it I come to a car that can't move! Until I rock it using the tires by hand to break the grip the brakes have on the drums......WTF...?
Is this a normal issue or am just special?

Oh the brakes are like new also....just for your info.

Thanks....

Edited by Willys

Posted (edited) · Report post

The shoes stick to the drums. It's a very common problem, especially with cars parked outside or in damp conditions. A whack on the drum with a hammer may help un-stick.

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

most likely waht he said ^..

but could also be sticking up front ...go under and look at the equalizer (where the cables attach near the front of rear subframe)...spray that with lubricant it wont hurt anything and might help

park brake cables are about $80 the pair germanauto parts website toronto

i just changed some yesterday

1 person likes this

Thanks guys, I'll just keep rocking it for now, just hope it doesn't start doing it while outside a store after a few minutes. Overnight or as it was a few days inside the garage with it on I can see or somewhat understand but if doing it after a run to the store then I'll be diving into it. It has more oily grease undercoating on any non visible part I can't for the life of me see how it could be siezing up or rusting etc...thanks Smart142...lol...it would take a year before anything would sieze imho after me washing that stuff off it was on so thick....lol.

Thanks again....

my pleasure haha!!!!    I HATE rust!!!

21 minutes ago, smart142 said:

my pleasure haha!!!!    I HATE rust!!!

So do I ....so do I....but it will get soaked in rust check before the winter months don't worry...lol.

Just maybe I'll park her in the heated garage all winter and drive one of the older semi rusty steeds....while the government tries to destroy our vehicles.....augh...!!!!

The problem is, I'm really getting used to this below 4 litres per 100kms thing...lol

This has happened to me on a number of occasions.

I put a long metal rod (a socket wrench extension) between the spokes of the wheel and hit the other end with a hammer.

You don't have to remove the wheel this way.

1 person likes this

By all means, use the handbrake when the car is in regular use.  If you are leaving the car for only a few days, leave it in neutral and use wheel chocks instead of the parking brake.  I use this when my summer smart hibernates for the winter and my winter smart hibernates for the summer .  Works for me.