smart142

a roadster vacation May 2018

84 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, luwie said:

Next week I will let Glenn and Liz drive mine Roadster, just to get a feelling of a tuned Roadster.

You’d better hope that Glenn gives it back !!

2 people like this

and that's the reason I'm afraid to drive it haha!!!

We had a good morning touring Vienna, walked around St.Stephens square, and then drove 1/2 hour to a museum that turned out to be closed.

No worries because we found a little restaurant that was to our liking.

Did some planning for the upcoming week and then another gasthof for local beer and food.

The advantage of having a car in Europe is that you get to see and meet the locals. The disadvantage is it more difficult driving in the old big cities with the narrow and confusing roads and the very limited parking - even with a smart car!!! 

This afternoon we reached the farthest point east we are going to go. Near Krakow.

Had 6 hrs of driving through rain and now know why the European cars have the rear fog lights.

Staying at a lovely B&B that is quite inexpensive - so we booked an extra night.

Today we visited the Auschwitz concentration/extermination camp - what a sad,sad part of our history!

Unimaginable cruelty!

Thanks!

Yesterday we finally had a sunny day for driving and took advantage by driving on some of those sweet twisty secondary roads!

Theo is right, thats where the roadster thrives - very enjoyable!!!

We are now on the road home. Stayed at a country inn about an hour away from Prague. Today we plan on touring that city and then press on to Dresden Germany.

Nice to hear that the Roadster is to your likings :-)

And have fun today, the sun is there all day!

242blar.jpg

Yes, we had a fine sunny day yesterday. Started off driving the twisty back roads to Prague and then ate at a sidewalk cafe. Walked beside the Danube and then motored to Weimar in Germany. Staying at a beautiful hotel.In the evening we were again able to enjoy eating outdoors - it was excellent! This town is designated a UNESCO world heritage site - worth the visit!

Today we are heading to north Germany where I used to live. My father, who was Canadian army 1943 - 1983, was stationed there from 1960 - 1963.

I'm sure to see a HUGE amount of change. To me it looks like the Germans have surpassed our quality of life. 

1 person likes this

Crossed a lot off our want list yesterday!

Found the place I lived in and it was still there!!!!  Mind you it was already an old apt building when we lived there 50 some years ago! Now it is really looking worn.

Even my old school was still being used. Checked out a few of my old haunts and then went to Reinberg.

That is where there is a Commonwealth war cemetery. Liz's great uncle is buried there. He was a belly gunner in a Lancaster that was shot down in April 1944. Over 3,000 buried there - most are air crew.

It was still early so we drove and found a hotel in Holland.

It was a top down day yesterday so we are both a little pink today - sunscreen today!

When we started our trip with the roadster we wanted to stay in Brugge but everything was booked.

So today we heading there to see what we missed!

3 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ironically, Glenn, the places I lived in in Europe are all still there, whereas in Canada, none of the places I lived in (on base) are there except St-Hubert.

Are you keeping the car, or going to look for another?

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

Today Glenn and Liz where back in Vlissingen!
We had a meet at the Boulevard ,great story's about the Roadster adventures!
I think they are in love...............:wub:

2n1xb28.jpg

1 person likes this

Now the question is, will it fit in the overhead luggage or will they have to stow it underneath...??????

lol

1 person likes this

Morning all!

Two days ago we had a beautiful sunny day in Brugge, Belgium. The inner city is a maze of old buildings with cobble stoned narrow streets interspersed with canals. They call it the Venice of the north!!!

We enjoyed the outdoor cafes and took a boat tour of the canals. Our hotel room was super clean, was ideally located, but was much smaller than the cabin we had on the cruise ship.:D  It was amazing!

And we parked the roadster underground  for the 24hrs - only 9 euros!

Now we are in the southern part of Holland soaking up sun and getting acquainted with Theo and will meet his business partner Ed tomorrow.

I absolutely love the roadster and it passed the 2 week ''test drive'' with flying colours!!

The fly in the ointment is shipping costs. The 2500 euro charge could be a deal breaker. If only I could fit it in the overhead bins haha!

4 hours ago, smart142 said:

The fly in the ointment is shipping costs. The 2500 euro charge could be a deal breaker. If only I could fit it in the overhead bins haha!

Yikes..........$3,750 CDN. Definitely need a volume discount on this. :)

Damn, that's insane....!!!

I'd be looking at combining a few together in a bin of your own if possible, load a bin or find someone who has space in a bin already coming this way.....my buddy got his new bike loaded in the same plane as him for the price of another ticket almost........but that is a bike and from England also.....BUT....that much for a rollerskate in a shipping container is rediculous. No length to speak of or weight....I bet it's the packing charges so it doesn't get damaged...?
Look at getting a full container and seeing what motorcycles are wanting to cross over as many groupos do this....check Horizons unlimited.  Motorcycles are easy to load and strap down and they pay their share from what they asked to get a bike across.

Whoever quoted that price is gouging.  It should cost about $2000 CAD to Halifax!!  Bremerhaven is one of the cheaper ports to send from.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, MikeT said:

Whoever quoted that price is gouging.  It should cost about $2000 CAD to Halifax!!  Bremerhaven is one of the cheaper ports to send from.

Thank you MikeT,

I requested quotes from 5 transport companies in Rotterdam(Rotterdam is the biggest harbour in Europa)
$2000 cad dollar is 1322 euro what is almost the half!.
This makes a big difference!

Can you help me out on this one?
you have experience with shipping from Europe.
it would be nice if you gave me an address or phone number from a schipping company in Bremershaven who will do a shipping for $2000 cad dollar.
I speak German , Englisch and Dutch so that's no problem.

Thank you very much if you would like to do this.

Please let me know MikeT

I've no experience importing a car but I know people who say $2000 is normal for this.  One day I may ship my Peugeot 404C to Europe for a tour and I expect it will be about $2K each way.

$1900 US one way from California to Bremerhaven in a shared container, here: https://www.wcshipping.com/france

....and that is California, New York would be cheaper, like $900 US one way.  Your shipper is gouging!

Glenn and Liz where here and we drove the Roadster back .....;)
We had a nice day, we did a small tour ,and we visited Edwin to see the red Roadster Coupe.
It was so nice meeting Glenn and Liz, I wish you both a great flight back to Canada!

Here are some pictures of today

10mtr13.jpg

2cqyayp.jpg

akzmoi.jpg

rtkm8j.jpg

1e2qsk.jpg

2ia9y6x.jpg

2rwrzoj.jpg

2lk5f89.jpg

1 person likes this

I am! 

So did you contact a different shipping company?

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, MikeT said:

I am! 

So did you contact a different shipping company?

I emailed west coast Shipping yesterday,and I got a answer today,they will contact me on monday.
So let's see what they say.

Edited by luwie

12 hours ago, Nigel said:

I’m not seeing the pictures luwie.

Nigel

I will try again :-)

10mtr13.jpg

akzmoi.jpg

2cqyayp.jpg

1e2qsk.jpg

2ia9y6x.jpg

rtkm8j.jpg