Willys

Hmmmm....glow plug light stays on....

6 posts in this topic

OK, seems I have a gremlin.....first the fuel filter light comes on irratically and now the glow plug light is staying on after start up and i drive a short distance then goes out...?   WHY.....?????

The fuel filter light is also playing up, so I will change it just for shits and giggles....maybe it's trying to tell me something?

Where is the best place in Ontario to buy one?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fuel filter or light?  I got one at CTC or Partsource I don’t remember which.  GKI part number GF1916 and I believe the CTC stock number 123-2305-2 about $30.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

You move the water in fuel sensor from the old one to the new filter.  Many parts listings show an inline filter that I believe was used in other parts of the world but not here.  I have two here and you can have one if you want but I’m probably an hour away.

Nigel

Nigel we ust get to gether next week as my weekend is now full getting another smart I hope...lol...I have the sickness ...lol

I think the issue is the filter which is setting off the light, as it should do...no?   You may need your second filter one day so i should get my own....as long as I get the correct one that is...so I'll drop by your place whenever it's best for you...an hour is what 4 litres of fuel?  I'll swallow that easy..lol.

I don't work so it's up to you when. Message me with a date etc and we'll get organized. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, Willys said:

OK, seems I have a gremlin.....first the fuel filter light comes on irratically and now the glow plug light is staying on after start up and i drive a short distance then goes out...?   WHY.....?????

On the right hand side of the engine compartment is a small box containing the glow plug driver.

There are two connectors coming out of it. One for the glow plugs and one for the supplementary electric heater.

As a first step it would be worthwhile to unplug and check for corrosion on the glow plug module connectors.

Fuel filter light on means you should drain water from filter housing.  Does not mean you replace filter.

1 person likes this