Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Glass roof to sun roof..?

14 posts in this topic

Anyone ever thought of this ????      How are both attached to the cage or bodywork? Is the glass roof simply glued on like a windshield is? Same question for sun roof..?   IF so, why can they be interchanged?     Anyone concidered it?

Just thinking outloud...lol

It is possible but TAN codes would be needed and frankly it'd be easier and far cheaper now that 450s are basically free to find another 450 with opening sunroof and sell the one you have.

1 person likes this

I loved the sunroof option on my old cdi. I'm not sure I'd want to attempt a swap, though. 

Thanks for the information and link....we'll see if and when the other gets here. Then see what condition the roof is in.......The biggest issue with this car is how it must have the computer reflashed or adjusted everytime to want to add or change a simple electrical part swap....WHY...????  I installed a second fause panel for any newer electrical items so it doesn't mess with the cars computor....but, I'm now wondering if I did upset it when i bit into a switched live wire to trigger the new relay to send battery power to the new fuse panel?  What do the electrical gurus think?

I'm not pulling power from that live wire but just to trigger the 30AMP relay to then power a second piggy back fuse panel all fused etc to run anything I wish from it. It gets it's main power from the battery.  Would the car's brain feel this and how and why?

On 5/4/2018 at 9:04 PM, Willys said:

The biggest issue with this car is how it must have the computer reflashed or adjusted everytime to want to add or change a simple electrical part swap....WHY...????

...because most of the accessories are operated via the SAM rather than being connected directly to their respective controls.  If the feature hasn't been turned on in the SAM, it won't know how to react when it detects that a switch has been operated.

Multiplexers are the bane of the analog home mechanic.

OK, so, me adding a secondary fuse pannel and running all extra things from it, will this upset the cars brain, or lack of one ...?

Thanks

I have gone away from this swap, getting sun burnt  and the sun shining drirectly on my dome wasn't  ideal for a redhead...lol

they dont have sliding shade covers on the inside?..(ive never seen a panoramic or sunroof smart in person)

On 5/3/2018 at 6:05 PM, Willys said:

Anyone ever thought of this ????      How are both attached to the cage or bodywork? Is the glass roof simply glued on like a windshield is? Same question for sun roof..?   IF so, why can they be interchanged?     Anyone concidered it?

I had the solid roof on my 450 replaced with a used panoramic glass one a couple of years ago. London Glass did the work at Glenn's . They cut out the old one and refastened (glued) in the new 1 in less than an hour. The sliding shade is still in storage since I preferred the full glass view. It can be added back at any time.

1 person likes this

The sunroof has a mesh shade that cuts the sun intensity considerably, without completely blocking it. 

1 person likes this

I have already had some 30C sunny days so far in kamloops this year. My ac is working well but the glass roof makes my smart feel like a greenhouse. I just ordered some reflective gold vinyl wrap and im wraping my glass roof with the aim to naturally keep the interior cooler. Im going to add some more tint too so it should be a lot darker inside and reflect more heat. 

I tinted my side and rear windows well and that alone helped greatly to keep the temps down, compared to a stock glassed Smart.

The biggest issue I have is the small sliver that the sliding shield misses on the roof.....that drives me insane when the sun is majically at the perfect spot and it shines strong through it....augh!  That will be a modification I'm sure before the summer has gotten to it's highest point! As it is I'm now wearing a cap to stop the sun from flashing me above my sunglasses. Those flashes trigger my migrains, a bad thing for sure.

So the idea of a directly open roof has turned my plans around completely....lol.