Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

New One On Me

11 posts in this topic

Started out on a drive to Chatham this morning (about 100km).

My ‘05 acted like it had not been remapped.  Gutless as I remember all my diesel Smarts were prior to remapping.

Car has 130K on it and was remapped in 2011 at Flying Tiger in Vancouver.

This phenominon happened once before last March, but an overnight stop renewed its normal remapped operation.  No trouble since.

This time it was a casual drive down the 401 with no time constraints, so I went ahead.  But this time was different.

On the highway, the car would not go over 110 on speedo (103 on GPS, due to tire size), no matter how I pressed the ‘gas’ pedal.

To the floor was the same thing.  Old MTS cruise control did nothing.  

Hitting small highway expansion joints cause the car to shift to 5th, with some slowing but no over-revving.

Shifting to 6th only returned it to the same 110km/hr speed.

Those expansion joints also caused the dash display to indicate a downshift was needed..... at 110 in 6th ???

After a 2 hour layover, the return trip from Chatham was fine with none of these symptoms.

It was also fine later that same day.

Has anyone else experienced this strange behaviour with their ‘05 ??

Any suggestions ??

It's not the map - something else is wrong.  Even a stock cdi will go 130 km/h.  Check for codes that don't generate CEL.

I would blame the "MDC" cruise control first.  

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?  Also in the old days a fuel cap that wasn’t vented could stall an engine if air couldn’t get into the tank to replace the fuel that was being consumed, I don’t know if this applies to us or not.  Just a couple of random thoughts.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Happened with the MDC cruise control on or off.  Plus I’ve never had the cruise system downshift at 2,500 rpm.

The MDC has been trouble-free since installed (10+ years).  I like it better than factory system on my ‘06s.

It has indicator lights and doesn’t deactivate with acceleration.

Fuel filter’s under 3 years old, maybe 15,000 km.

Happened on under half a tank of fuel, so i’d been driving for a week prior.  I don’t suspect the fuel cap.

I know exactly what you’re suggesting, and the trouble it can cause.  Good idea, so I just checked it and it’s on tight also.

My best and most economical source of checking all engine codes is currently touring Ireland with his lovely wife Liz.

In the meantime I’ll keep my fingers crossed it keeps running.  BTW.... no basic codes on Scan Gauge.

Any more suggestions?  Everything is helpful.  Am I the only lucky Smartie that experienced this automotive blessing ??

One more thing I’ve had happen to me on a GM diesel and a couple of Cummins is the lift pump failure and those units would run okay for months if the injection pump was strong just a little down on power.  I know several times the driver wouldn’t know until you changed the fuel filter and the fuel system wouldn’t prime.  I don’t think that applies here though. Hopefully it lasts until our “smart whisperer” returns.  

Nigel

Here’s hoping and praying all or cars live that long.

Might be into June before he brings ‘the force’ back to it’s rightful place in the galaxy.

Have you checked under the front carpet passanger side for possibly a loose ground wire etc or maybe a chaffed wire? It happens when it gets jolted so it must be something that moves which means something is loose somethere and acts up after a nudge....maybe...?   I'd also try running with gas cap loose just to rule out fuel starvation from a vaccum pressure issue with the cap not allowing air into the tank for it to breathe.  Just a few thoughts?

All good ideas but I can only look into fuel system causes (like fuel cap) when the problem presents itself.

As I mentioned, the problem is very intermittent.  These cars exhibit TOO MANY intermittent problems.

I installed a permanent connection for a battery tender last fall.

I checked all connections and installed an upgraded battery ground cable at that time.

With all the water and dampness under the carpet I'd recheck anything electrical and coat it in dielectric grease etc etc on a regular basis.  I was horrified the amount of moisture I saw under my carpets, it's still there so i will be cooking mine when the sun finally gets here to try and dry it all out....then it's a massive searching to find out where it's coming in from......I'm surprised the floors haven't got any rust on them from it....?

I installed a secondary fuse pannle to run anything extra off of as not to upset the car's finiky(?) electrical system....hoping that works....I have a battery tender I used for my bike, maybe I'll do the same...thanks.

Water not a problem.  Bone dry on both sides.

I heard of an ‘06 that leaked around the windshield from new, and it took 3 re-installt to finally correct the leaking.