smartnhappy

Plunkett’s - Thursday August 02nd, 2018

71 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks to my magnetic personality, charming demeaner and overall good looks, I have once again been able to set up a Smart Car night at the weekly Plunkett’s Shown’Shine, in conjunction with the Hyde Park and District Lions Club.

I requested and we have reserved Thursday, August 02nd.

I’ve also requested and reserved our placement around the lake, as in years past.

I hope as many Smarts as possible an come out.  After all, this is our only real charity effort as a club (entry by donation).

Plus we all do our best to eat as many hamburgers and hot dogs as possible...... also for charity.

Make a note.  Reserve the date.  See everybody there.

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Edited by jwight
corrected club name

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Hi is this the one in London or near London? I'm toying with the idea of driving out from Pickering if I can get this P2188 code sorted out. 

Yes, it is in the suburbs of north-west London.

It is located at the Plunkett Estate, 9282 Elviage Drive, London.  Google or Vpike maps will pin-point it for you.

Below is a photo of one of the past events at Plunketts.

Smarts at Plunkett's - Aug. 4-2016 02.jpg

1 person likes this

This is Steve Plunkett’s weekly Show’nShine event, held in conjunction with the Hyde Park and District Lions Club.

Appologies.... I incorrectly identified then as the Byron Lions Club above.

This weekly Thursday night charity event draws upwards of 300+ cars on a nice clear evening.

Our Smart Car group has attended the first Thursday in August for several years.

This event is weather dependant, and is cancelled with inclement conditions.

We’d love to see you out for the evening, but keep an eye on the local forecast and this website for updates.

http://www.countrycruizin.com/

This event is not to be confused with Plunkett’s Fleetwood Country Cruise-in event, being held this year on June 2 & 3.

This major, annual event drew 7,000 cars last year (4,500 on Saturday alone).

It has been known and recognized throughout North America for many years for it’s venue and spectacle.

The event goes on rain or shine, and is attended by thousands.

This year it’s open to vehicles 1986 and older, or by special invitation of Steve Plunkett.

http://fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7)

8)

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8)

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9)

10)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

12 hours ago, smartnhappy said:

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9)Willys and hopefully the better half, but it's a long drive but looks like a great time.

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

I just looked at the June main show, WOW..!   Maybe an expensive drive out in the Willys......just for the experience.....lol

Three weeks till the Plunkett Show&Shine.   Just a reminder.

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9) Willys and hopefully the better half, but it's a long drive but looks like a great time.

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

4 minutes ago, smartnhappy said:

Three weeks till the Plunkett Show&Shine.   Just a reminder.

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9) Willys and hopefully the better half, but it's a long drive but looks like a great time.

10) John and Elaine

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

Should be a couple more cars from the lower 48. :)

1 person likes this

Looks like I'll be heading down thursday and staying over for friday. Any recommendations for lodging? I saw something about a Motel 6 but is there something closer to Plunkett's?

London has several good hotels and motels seconds off the 401.  Plunketts is between 10 and 15 minutes from most of them.  I will add a few links to them tomorrow when I am more awake.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, niteshooter said:

Getting to old for that, maybe load the smart behind an RV like this, https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2018/revel/overview

OK, sign me up!.....lol...I have been looking at this type of RV for about a year now, just love the idea of just having the bare essentials and nothing else.  We as a society waste so much of our funds buying spur of the moment items just to squirrel away and never use again after the intial purchase thrill is over.  Living within a restricted space stops this mentality imho. Perfect!  But, the costs of fuel normally with such vehicles is massive so it must be able to either tow or carry some sort of alternative transport for day to day useages. Either electric bikes, small motorcycles or a smart sized car. Our age and physical limitations will sooner or later bring you to the latter choices, so why not start with that vehicle able to tow such a secondary vehicle? I also think that starting with a solid roofed camper over a typical light construction RV which over a short time will leak worse than a pair of sandles...is critcal. So a hard roofed, constructed vehicle is key. Either a cube van or similar.  $142,000 to start, Hmmm....depends upon what you get from the get go....but not that bad seeing as the vehicle is brand new and the add-ons should be just internals etc etc.   Just love the idea...now back to the regularly scheduled program......where to set up a tent....lol  IF you find a resonable place cost wise please share...I may be up for a room...?  Maybe?   

Edited by Willys

Thanks Leadwing! I was just talking to my wife's uncle who lives in London and will crash on his couch! So looks like I'm set. Added bonus he's an exceptional cook! 

59 minutes ago, Willys said:

OK, sign me up!.....lol...I have been looking at this type of RV for about a year now, just love the idea of just having the bare essentials and nothing else.  We as a society waste so much of our funds buying spur of the moment items just to squirrel away and never use again after the intial purchase thrill is over.  Living within a restricted space stops this mentality imho. Perfect!  But, the costs of fuel normally with such vehicles is massive so it must be able to either tow or carry some sort of alternative transport for day to day useages. Either electric bikes, small motorcycles or a smart sized car. Our age and physical limitations will sooner or later bring you to the latter choices, so why not start with that vehicle able to tow such a secondary vehicle? I also think that starting with a solid roofed camper over a typical light construction RV which over a short time will leak worse than a pair of sandles...is critcal. So a hard roofed, constructed vehicle is key. Either a cube van or similar.  $142,000 to start, Hmmm....depends upon what you get from the get go....but not that bad seeing as the vehicle is brand new and the add-ons should be just internals etc etc.   Just love the idea...now back to the regularly scheduled program......where to set up a tent....lol  IF you find a resonable place cost wise please share...I may be up for a room...?  Maybe?   

I looked at Motel 6 which was $65 a night but didn't dig for coupon's or better deals. I know CAA gives me a better room rate as well. 

Back off topic, that one is diesel but still not fantastic on fuel economy though being smaller helps I suspect. The other thing I want in an RV besides being able to travel off pavement is all electric stove and fridge with solar panels on top. This one with upgraded panels and electric bike might really be perfect, though as you noted the buy in is rather steep. It's in the same territory as the Roadtrek CS Adventurous http://www.roadtrek.com/models/cs-adventurous/ but this one is gigantic compared to the Revel and as you say then the temptation of packing more junk comes into play and I don't think I would take it very far off road. There is an AWD version but again without the tires and ground clearance I would say it's more for snowy roads than off road. But it can be set up to be really off the grid so a good bug out vehicle. Final one on my short list is the Winnebago Paseo https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2017/paseo/overviewhttps://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2017/paseo/overview which slots right in the middle of the other two in size and price. But I would want to eliminate propane and have an induction cooktop, other downside is this one is gasoline though my mechanic friends are not keen on todays crop of diesel motors and their added complexity (urea).

Back to accommodations, with the hot sticky weather I would pass on a tent. It's brutal here in the GTA and I suspect equally bad down London way. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Leadwing said:

London has several good hotels and motels seconds off the 401.  Plunketts is between 10 and 15 minutes from most of them.  I will add a few links to them tomorrow when I am more awake.

PM sent since lodging has apparently been secured