smartnhappy

Plunkett’s - Thursday August 02nd, 2018

71 posts in this topic

Hmmm...those vans do look great, but as you say not cheap..lol.   

And yes I won't be tenting it if i stay the night also....I'll find a inexpensive bed for the night...with air con....lol

1 minute ago, Willys said:

I won't be tenting it if i stay the night also....I'll find a inexpensive bed for the night...with air con....lol

A/C is a good choice if the weather continues the way it is now.  I gave up on tents and the "great outdoors" almost 60 years ago when my dad and I went on a biking / camping trip.  The most uncomfortable, mosquito-laden adventure I ever had ....... NEVER AGAIN.  These days, my idea of roughing it is a no-tell motel with no shower, only a bath. LOL

Meanwhile back to the original topic:

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9) Willys and hopefully the better half, but it's a long drive but looks like a great time.

10) John and Elaine

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Leadwing said:

A/C is a good choice if the weather continues the way it is now.  I gave up on tents and the "great outdoors" almost 60 years ago when my dad and I went on a biking / camping trip.  The most uncomfortable, mosquito-laden adventure I ever had ....... NEVER AGAIN.  These days, my idea of roughing it is a no-tell motel with no shower, only a bath. LOL

LMAO....I hopefully am still able to enjoy the great outdoors in a tent, we'll see next summer....well almost a tent if plans go as planned so far.  You can't beat the feeling of waking up in a tent with the fresh air and dew  etc from a good night's sleep after a camp fire maybe or simply watching the sun go down in a remote location without a mass of humans all doing their thing which usually isn't what you're idea of a good time is...lol.   Sound very anti social doesn't it...lol.  But it's what I like so I keep trying to do it, well until it hurts too much to make the good out weigh the bad....lol.  As for the bugs, a healthy or unhealthy lathering of DEET is key and maybe smoke from a camp fire....and maybe a full on bug suit...lol.  Yes i have been driven away by blackflies more times than i can remember when it's their time to rule. They die off in this heat so the only ones now are deer flies, the ones who bring serious weaponary to the table...but if you get bitten by one you aren't paying attention as they slowly decide where the best p[lace is to dive into your flesh..!    But I degress.....camping if done right is great!  The right location, the right amount of people around you, and the right tent, and equipoment make it a fantastic experience that you'll remember for a lifetime.  That is if you are into the outdoors in the firstplace, many aren't. To each their own...we all can't be right...lol

3 hours ago, Willys said:

camping if done right is great! 

Camping....... done right ..LOL

Camping.jpg

2 people like this

Yup, I avoid camping like the plague.  It was fun 35 years ago....now, I enjoy a little comfort.

1 person likes this

Liz and I love camping :D!

Remember last year we drove to Vancouver and back. However we had a pop up trailer that worked perfectly for us.

It only takes 15 mins to set up! Its very hard to beat sitting around a campfire on the north shore of Lake Superior or see buffalo in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

A very CANADIAN experience!!

1 person likes this

Camping doesn't have to be uncomfortable in any respects. Even if done from a motorcycle..!  Get the right gear and enjoy.....taking an RV isn't camping, it's simply traveling with your home....OK, if that is what you prefer, but not camping....as Glenn said, nothing beats sitting at the end of a day relaxing watching nature do it's thing!  

5 hours ago, MikeT said:

Yup, I avoid camping like the plague.  It was fun 35 years ago....now, I enjoy a little comfort.

Having spent two summers as a camp counselor fifty plus years ago and, numerous overnight

bike trips, not any more...:)

1 person likes this

Same: I slept in a tent in the Rockies for four months in 1974 and 1976 - camp counsellor in 1974 and working as a civvy at a cadet camp in 1976.  We also did a lot of other camping in Europe, Britain and in Canada.  Like, hundreds of days.  Bragg Creek, Glacier Park, Drumheller, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Vancouver Island...  Even in Northern Ontario!  At Oka!  Been there, done that.

I have two expedition quality 4 season tents to show for it, the best being a Moss.

Meanwhile back to the original topic.... again:

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

9) Willys and hopefully the better half, but it's a long drive but looks like a great time.

10) John and Elaine

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

2 people like this

Last year the event was cancelled due to rain. The year before there were 18.

We have 2 weeks to pay off the weather man...for a great day....I'd hate to drive for 3 hours just to find it cancelled...augh!

Hmm it is August and always rains during the CNE though this is early August so fingers crossed. 

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

10) John and Elaine

11) Kevin

12)

13)

14)

15)

Willys

I did that drive last year for the rain out.   About a dozen of us still met for dinner.  Can’t complain too much, we had a couple of Americans and their cars came from as far as Kansas if I remember correctly.

Nigel

2 people like this

What's on the menu...lol

If it's not raining when I plan to start out I'll be there.

Probably alone I bet...lol

Keep a weather eye to the sky.

The Lions Club will announce last minute cancellation on their web site, if necessary.

http://www.countrycruizin.com/

The event runs from 5:00PM till dusk.

Smart cars will once again ring the lake, as in years past.

There’s hamburgers, hotdogs and sausage on a bun available on-site.  All proceeds to charity.

Theres various draws, including a 50/50 draw.

Note.... entry is by donation.  I recommend a ‘fiver’.

This is our car club’s only annual ‘charitable’ activity.

Some folks my want to venture out after the event for a bite and a sip, but nothing formal is planned.

Edited by smartnhappy
3 people like this

Sorry, unable to attend this year but do have a great time.

Our red 2006 Smart still running like a charm.

Regards to All

Doug & Sharon

Carlilse

Edited by Dougie
Spelling
1 person likes this

Should we have a plan B if it rains? I'll be setting out fairly early in the morning as I want to make a few stops before the meet. 

Good idea.  Can't remember the restaurant we met at last year but it was OK.  :)

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎29 at 10:47 AM, jwight said:

Good idea.  Can't remember the restaurant we met at last year but it was OK.  :)

The restaurant was Bernies in Byron

1 person likes this

So far the forecast is looking pretty good for Thursday. :)

1 person likes this

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

10) John and Elaine

11) Kevin

12) Ralph & Monica

13)

14)

15)

SIGN-UP

1) Bill

2) John

3) Ron & Dot

4) Larry & Gail

5) Liz & Glenn

6) Wild!

7) William

8) Todd

10) John and Elaine

11)ETHICAL BEEF.   “Smartzuki” Busa  Powered 1300 cc.

12)

13)

14)

15)

1 person likes this