Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niteshooter

P2188 and ELM327 revisited

14 posts in this topic

*I posted the following on smartcarofamerica the other day but so far no real answers. Of note I have read through the threads on there already including the one that everyone links to which actually doesn't have any follow up comments from those with the problem and if it was ever solved and how. 

I've gone through the P2188 too rich at idle threads and haven't really found a definitive answer to the problem. I guess it is a pretty generic code however I'm now in the same boat as others who have had the problem.

What I didn't see in the threads was whether those that had the code finally got rid of it. 

In my case I started to get the code after I blew the head gasket on my 451 last fall. We got the car back together this spring and though it runs great it throws this code pretty much every time I drive it. I reset the code with my Innova 3100 scan tool but it returns. *note that with this smart the only way to reset the code is to have the car not running but with the key in the run position. Otherwise code will not clear.

I have replaced the air cleaner which was filthy but again code returns. When we restarted the car for the first time the exhaust system blew a lot of white smoke due to residual coolant in the system and I'm wondering if I might have caused problems to the O2 sensor(s).

While the car was apart we replaced the water pump and thermostat, I did read that a stuck thermostat might cause this code and I remember that this part came in 3 pieces so am wondering if perhaps we didn't put it back in quite right....

The other comment I found was driving style, eg hard acceleration and/or sudden lift off on the gas pedal. It's possible I might be doing this as I've been trying to run the car hard to blow out any crud in the system and I did notice that when I ran up the car to high speed on the highway it threw a code shortly thereafter. So I have been taking it easy on the throttle to see if a lead foot is the issue but so far... I am hoping that the O2 sensor(s) might have had some residual coolant that needs to burn off so fresh premium and multiple highway runs will be done to see if I can get this code to stop popping up. However so far no luck.

I picked up an ELM 327 off eBay and at first could not get it to sync with my LG G5 android phone, iPhone and DashCommand. I did get it working with Piston (android) however I notice some oddities with this setup. Primarily the speakers cycle on and off which is probably due to the phone also being connected via bluetooth through the smart factory bluetooth system (which btw I would not recommend). Also had a strange throttle failure warning trigger with the ELM attached, cleared this code and unplugged the ELM and code has not returned so I think there is some sort of problem/incompatibility with the ELM and my particular smart. Or is it possible that this code might be another clue as to the issue. I have used the ELM to reset the P2188 code with engine off and key in run. 

Will likely order up the scanguage II instead as I'm a bit concerned that continued use of the ELM may eventually damage the SAM maybe not but by the time I find out it would be too late....

The other thing that seems new is that the car takes a bit of 'priming' to start, I recall that you don't just crank the key but have to turn to run and let it settle in for a couple of seconds. Not doing this or not giving it a bit of gas causes the starter to run for an extended period as if it isn't getting enough gas at first. A short stab on the gas pedal while cranking solves this, however could this be connected to the problem? I would think a bad or dying fuel pump or clogging filter might throw a lean or different code. I do let the car sit for extended periods in the winter, however I only run premium that does not contain ethanol. If I blip the key all the way to start immediately I get the starter motor engaging and staying engaged for several seconds even as the motor starts. If I blip the key after waiting a couple of seconds and/or give the car a bit of gas it fires up normally.

Also of note the car only had 1/4 tank of fuel when I blew the head gasket and I was getting the code before I filled it up the other day. Also based on what I read I didn't fully top up the tank due to the comments of flooded EVAP canisters.

I guess at this point I keep running, keep resetting codes and see what happens. I will be borrowing a better scan tool to read fuel pressure etc just in case the problem is there but have not had the time to take it over to the shop.

I have no issues with the ELM unit I have but have read of varying quality depending on source.

I have never read of anyone having to "prime" their 451 to get it to start.  There is obviously some sort of air/fuel issue.  A better scan tool is what I would try, my STAR clone has paid for itself several times over.

I have an Ultra Gauge in my 451, I prefer it to the SGII.

Yup been thinking about a better scan tool. What is your Star clone like? 

And yes a fuel air mix issue sounds logical given the error code it's throwning. 

Thanks for the reply!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Chinese made clone of the MB diagnostic multiplexer connected to a Dell laptop running a copy of the MB diagnostic software.

clone STAR machine images

What year is your car?  km on car?

Edited by Huronlad

Take out your plugs and inspect them, they should be a light brownish white, If there black and wet and that white puff of smoke you mentioned earlier. sounds like you may have to redo your head gasket.

On 2018-05-22 at 10:48 PM, Huronlad said:

Are there any modification to your car?

Nothing other than whatever they did to an off the shelf Brabus 451. Got the code back again yesterday but only after doing a hard acceleration. Starting is also odd in that if I turn the key without pumping the gas pedal slightly the starter engages and stays engaged even if I release from start and the key falls back to 'run'. 

On 2018-05-23 at 9:47 AM, Wild! said:

Take out your plugs and inspect them, they should be a light brownish white, If there black and wet and that white puff of smoke you mentioned earlier. sounds like you may have to redo your head gasket.

Ok, sounds like a plan, they are new Iridium. The white smoke seems to have been from when I blew the head gasket the first time and flooded the exhaust system with coolant. Have not seen smoke since we got the motor back together and running it but checking the plugs makes sense. 

My car will not throw codes under hard acceleration or from sudden and full lifting from the throttle.  That is more a symptom and not the cause of your problem.  The starter will run until the car starts or for a set period of time.  The key just has to be put in position 2 for a short period to begin the starting procedure.

Car didn't throw codes until I had to replace the head gasket. But yes it does sound more like a symptom. 

Yes I put the key in position 2 just for a second until the car starts to crank but when I let the key fall back to run the starter continues to crank as if I still have the key in position 2. At this point I shut it down and try restarting but with a tap on the gas pedal and the car starts normally. Again this is new and likely a symptom of the bigger problem which we've yet to stumble upon. 

I will pull the plugs when I get a chance to see if this tells me anything. 

Have to admit that a trip to the meet in London might be an idea, I think I can make it there...... and perhaps I can hire Glenn to have a look and see what he thinks might be going on.

I will have my STAR machine with me at Plunketts, if you want to run some diagnostic checks.

1 person likes this