SmartGal

DESPERATELY SEEKING SMART CAR MECHANIC

32 posts in this topic

Mercedes is horrible for service and repairs. I'm going to go bald from pulling out my hair in frustration. Its as if Mercedes just doesn't care about Smart car owners. In my experience with Mercedes (which has been terrible) they do not seem to know how to fix even the simplest issue. I desperately need a SMART car mechanic that knows what they are doing !! PLEASE HELP !!

It is worth the two hour drive to London to see Glenn.  He is known to work weekends if that helps.  He is currently overseas but will be back in a couple of weeks.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Plus one on the "Uncle Glenn" suggestion.  He is my go-to guy for all smart-related issues.  You really can't go wrong.

If the distance is a draw-back, you might try contacting Bessy .. AKA Andrew at Green & Ross in Burlington but for personal service and everything explained in laymen's terms, Glenn is the man. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Whats the name of the auto shop in London ontario? The uncle glen guy pm'd me an address of 825 cabell street but there are 2 shops on that street and im not sure which one it is.

Edited by SmartGal

Whats a good fair price to pay to have brakes replaced on my smart and an oil change? Mercedes wants too much in my opinion and they are rude about it too. 

825 Cabell St..... the shop door is half-way down the building.  Not too obvious, but door is marked.

The garage entrance is around back, but check in first.  Glenn parks his Smart car out front of the shop door.

I hope this link works.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/TV3Dt

2 hours ago, SmartGal said:

Whats the name of the auto shop in London ontario? The uncle glen guy pm'd me an address of 825 cabell street but there are 2 shops on that street and im not sure which one it is.

its probably the one at 825 cabell

from google it appears the front business uses the other street as an address...so 825 is probably the back part of that light brown siding place ...close to the hydro/bell substation building

Basically it is a shop for clubsmartcar members and Glenn works when someone needs help.  No set hours just call and make an appointment.  His hourly rate is about half of the dealers and most jobs are charged on actual time rather than book time.

Nigel

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, SmartGal said:

No shop name and inside a warehouse ? Seems sketchy in my opinion.

if you want a million dollar shop building with fancy signs you could always find another high priced mercedes dealership with high hourly rates and sub-par mechanics that have no idea how to service a smart

bonus is the free car wash. From what ive heard mercedes mechanic spend a lot of time washing cars

1 person likes this

Yes, my smart BRABUS Canada 1 has been in there, and there is nothing at all sketchy about it.

Hey guys! Arrived home yesterday tired, but had an AWESOME vacation!!

Thanks for all the endorsements!  and the shop directions!

I'll be at the shop today haha!!! The old routines were missed and all my ''smart'' friends!!!!

3 people like this

Well.....did you put an offer in on that Roadster...? Inquiring minds must know...lol

I would have bought it but the shipping costs were too high for a single roadster!

However I made invaluable contacts in Theo and Ed.

Now all I have to do is find 2 others that want to have a roadster and then a deal could be struck.

fyi - the red/silver coupe is also for sale.

Thanks everyone for your replies and special thanks to Leadwing for directions and photos. I hope you can all understand why a woman like me might be concerned about meeting a strange man at an unmarked warehouse in an industrial area of London Ontario two hours from where I live in Toronto.
Glenn did PM me and told me that he was tired of trying to sell himself to me and he told me to goto a Mercedes dealership instead.
I never considered how sensitive and offended a man would become just because I asked him a few questions. Good Lord.    

Sorry I bet most of us didn’t think about you being concerned for your safety meeting Glenn for the first time by yourself. We were trying to send you somewhere you wouldn’t get taken advantage of billing wise because you are a woman.  At the top of this page there is a tab for “service options” and you will find a listing for Active Green and Ross in Burlington.  Andrew if he is still there would be another good guy to try and if he is not there his phone number is listed in the comments for that shop.  He hasn’t been on the forum much since he sold his smart a year or so ago.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Nigel

Any licensed mechanic should be able to do brake work on a smart, as long as the car will fit on their hoist.  I would not recommend to someone to drive several hours to have an unlicensed "shadetree mechanic" work on the car unless they are well aware that is the situation.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this

you can search (in ontario) to see if someone is licensed ...if you know their real name

http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/

that being said though ive come across some very good unlicensed  "shadetrees" that are far more safer and knowledgeable than others who are licensed.

Edited by LooseLugNuts

The big plus about certain "shadetree" mechanics is that they tend to REPAIR the issue rather than just throwing new parts at the car until the problem goes away.

An example could be a loose wire at a connector plug.  Big box dealer mechanics will replace the entire wiring harness costing hundreds of dollars, whereas a good "shadetree" will simply solder the wire and viola!! ... the job is done.

2 people like this

Oh no, the shade tree mechanic speeches are in full swing......lol.

That would mean you would NEVER do your own brakes seeing as you personally aren't a licenced mechanic, then correct..?  IF you wish to spend the coin on a "NON" shadetree mechanic with a fancy sign and shop feel free, but to argue that they are not a required source of repair work for the masses you are sadly mistaken.....who do you think buys most of the auto parts, Canadian Tire etc etc products..?   The fancy shops with their licenced mechanics....No they do not, it's the home mechanic who is doing the work unlicenced and doing it well.....
It's a shame some feel they need to put others down who can turn a wrench as well as any mechanic and solve an issue without costing the owner an arm or a leg, or much worse!

To each their own....have at it....

1 person likes this