SmartGal

DESPERATELY SEEKING SMART CAR MECHANIC

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Oh no, the shade tree mechanic speeches are in full swing......lol.

That would mean you would NEVER do your own brakes seeing as you personally aren't a licenced mechanic, then correct..?  IF you wish to spend the coin on a "NON" shadetree mechanic with a fancy sign and shop feel free, but to argue that they are not a required source of repair work for the masses you are sadly mistaken.....who do you think buys most of the auto parts, Canadian Tire etc etc products..?   The fancy shops with their licenced mechanics....No they do not, it's the home mechanic who is doing the work unlicenced and doing it well.....
It's a shame some feel they need to put others down who can turn a wrench as well as any mechanic and solve an issue without costing the owner an arm or a leg, or much worse!

To each their own....have at it....

an owner can legally repair their own car..and an unlicensed person can help friends or strangers for that matter

the legal problems only come if you get caught accepting payment for your services without having a licence (or certificate of qualifications is the actual term)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

OK, so you know the legalities of the law, as most may not, some of us do also.
Are you one of the legal helpers we are speaking of, so as not to offend you....with any remarks  that are possibly said..?

The only reason I can really see for things to step into the legal arena would be a death occured because of the work done by unlicenced helper, no?   I agree there are many out there who should not be allowed to own tools at all. But for the most part anyone who offers help on a forum I would hope can do the work they are offering to some level of success, especially brakes.   That can easily be figured out by asking a few questions as to possible issues that someone with experience would know of. Changing a set of brakes on a car isn't rocket science and anyone who can basically turn a wrench "can" do the job with complete success...imho.  Yes there are many who can't, but again, those can be ruled out by educated questions  etc etc.   Hopefully...?

You could start asking for everyone's licence to be displayed before using them, no matter how experienced they are on a specific object, car vehicle etc etc... same goes for all proffesions....I didn't keep any of my licences up as I don't need them any more.....stopped paying the dues etc .....but does that mean I'm any less capable of doing the work  put in front of me....probably not.....age and senility may one day come into play...lol.    But as you say, legally I should lift a wrench to help anyone and accept a gift of any kind. lol.

I tell everyone I hate complicated electronics and do not like working on this field and tell anyone to find someone who can work on such things , I see no benefit of accepting a job  when you must learn how to do the repair before you can actually do the work.....imho a very misleading contract so to speak between person who needs the work done and the person doing the work.  And hardly fair for the customer.   Do your research and speak to the person who you are asking for help from, ask questions etc etc, if possible ask for referances or proof of that person's capabilities. Anything to suggest they have done this type of work before.....and done it correctly without come backs.  Anyone can make a mistake even licenced ones, it's called being human, but the person who has this experience usually won't make these mistakes.

Sorry for the stupidly long book, but to say any shadetree mechanic isn't capable is completely insane....illegal maybe but ....

I also sum up the person asking for help, as the person asking me for help sums me up.....and so they should.  If either party isn't happy etc, then the work shouldn't be started. Simply find another  person to help.  

This fear monging is how the dealerships or as we used to call them stealerships stay firmly in business.   People are scared to try and repair things, they simply pay through their nosed for simple repairs by the dealerships.......a simple set of tools can easily pay for it'self in short order, as long as you are somewhat mechanically inclined. IF you can't change a light bulb then maybe you shouldn't try and repair anything either..lol.  OR you may be someone who simply doesn't want to get their hands dirty and perfer to pay someone to do the work for you....

Again sorry for the book.

this smells like a can of worms 

i suggest getting rid of it and continuing with the regularly scheduled program

1 person likes this

Top advice

I agree.....it will only turn ugly when this topic gets going.....from what i have seen and experienced on  other sites being an admin there.  Best to errase the entire thread imho.  I know who I'd recommend in a heartbeat and so does everyone else here so best to drop this....and continue on as usual...just saying....before someone's nose gets tilted out of joint.

Hmm, I wonder who the agent provocateur is.....lol

1 person likes this