leejor

Brake part compatibility between 450 and 451

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 model and I'm looking at doing a complete replacement of pads, front disks and rear drums. I been doing some searches and I'm getting mixed messages as to whether the parts are the same for years 2005 up to 2014, so that is the 450 and 451. Some US sites selling a complete kit at a good price (of course they never sold the 450) show that it fits that year range, yet on other sites, I see different part numbers depending on the year.. Are there certain parts that fit both, and some that don't? These are all wheels with 3 mounting bolts, so pictures of the products, on the sites, don't really help. I had replaced the front pads with EBC Greens a number of years ago, which promised to reduce brake dust, but i really didn't notice much of a difference.

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

brake pads and shoes  05-15 

caliper 05-13

drum 05-15

wheel cylinders 05-12

thats for the fortwo...other models will vary ..info is from rockauto which seems to be fairly accurate

when you go to rockauto choose your model/year etc...then find your part and when you click the actual part number it shows a list of what else it fits

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Thanks, I'll have a look at their site.  Put the original front brake pads back over the weekend, as the EBC greens I installed in 2006 had worn to the point that the metal warning bracket was making a noise. I figure that after 62,000 km I can spring for a whole new set, pads, shoes, rotors and drums...good for another 13 years..

That is cheap braking if they lasted from 2006 until now. 

make sure the pads are not tight in the caliper bracket...i see it many times a year where people get their brakes done (on any brand of car) and the person doing it is too lazy to clean and lube the area where the pads touch the bracket...too tight and within months theyre come to me because their new pads are worn already (usually one much more wore than the other)

1 person likes this

I've never had that issue, they seemed to have a bit of "play". I've changed out pads on this car, and others I've had over the years, a number of times. It's mostly common sense. I just wanted to get the "old" pads (which still have a lot of life left) back in, to stop the squealing noise for the time being. This summer I will get the full kit and wash off, and replace everything, along with bleeding the brakes. I'd like to get the EBC Reds (supposed to be less dust), and will price them when I'm in Europe next, see if they are any less than here.

In my experience the EBC Reds eat the rotors. I've had better luck with ceramic.

I personally like soft pads that do not eat rotors over hard pads that eat rotors, you may get many sets of pads per rotor, it's up to you...imho...it's your vehicle and you who is paying the costs....I have found that in some cases you get a very hard piece in a pad that cam cause that nasty squeeling, sometimes you can sand it out using 80 grit, but I personally if mine I'd change them out for softer pads.....

I'd rather change out the rotors once in a while than have black wheels all the time (other than just after washing them). I'm going to order the full kit that includes front pads (probably not a premium pad) but will probably go with some other brand in the front.

Thanks for all the info.