Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Winnipeg 2018

10 posts in this topic

It seems as though my wife and I will be driving to Winnipeg in mid-July for a conference, and at the moment the plan is to take Snowball the Canada 1.  We've done a bit of longer distance driving with her before: Toronto to Vancouver Island when it was new (5000 km including driving in New York and Ontario), Alberta twice and southern California once.  She's generally in good shape and with 130,000 km is nicely broken in.  Watch for a white flash on Highway 3 and Highway 1!

I will be sailing by the Peg also next summer.......Heading up to Dawson City for June 21 st   ish summer solstice weekend. Then up to Tuktiuktuk to dip the front tires into the Arctic Ocean....the last one on my list!   I'll hopefully be towing a very light single man trailer if the fuel consumption rates don't turn me off it.  Making the tow bar this week coming.

I'll be headed that general direction from AB to ON around that time...hope to see you on the road!

I have extended family in Camrose, just south of Edmonton.

We've changed plans and we'll be flying instead.  May rent a car in WPG for a day.

What, you don't want to spend 3 days driving when you can get there in how many hours...?
I'm starting to figure out gas costing  to get me where i want to go....I haven't gotten to the price of a ticket yet, return that is...lol.   The wife may fly up for the top piece just to see whats up there but maybe not.....not much to look at if sceenery isn't really your thing day in day out...lol.  It's what I live for.

2 days, not 3; and the people we were going to visit on the way won't be home.  Ergo no reason to see the prairies by car an umpteenth time.  Just drove all over Japan.

Damn, I forgot you're coming from the interesting side...lol...I was counting the endless hours crossing frig'in Ontario coming from the London area....lol. Seems so many are from that spot on the map....lol.  Even still that's good hauling and long hours.....

2 days ???? - 2 very very long days!!! I'd be 3 to Winnipeg from Van Island myself - just about 2,400 kms via Hwy 1 - would hate to be driving 13 hours a day

That is a lot of driving, and then to go Hwy 3..... add kms and slow your time down a bit (but nice scenery!)

Good choice flying Mike!

I drove #3 the time we came across in our 1947 Willys Cj2a's   it was a far longer drive than going the trans can that's for sure!  Yes far better visual effects as well.....compared to simply watching the pavement disappear into the sunset...lol.