Brackenshiel

Random or no charging when EVSE turned on

6 posts in this topic

I have a Smart 2018 ED. I have a Siemens versicharge with a timer between the panel and the EVSE. I plug my Smart in after daily use. The Timer powers up the EVSE at 7:00 pm and off at 7:00 am. However, the car does not always charge during this period. When it does, the charge start time seems random. Preset is not selected. Anyone, have this issue.

Interesting.

I know there's a "handshake" process when the car is connected to the EVSE. I wonder if there's something in the EVSE's design where having it activated by an external timer prevents the "ready" signal from being sent as soon as power is applied. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Signaling

I set a preset for 5:30 am thinking it must at least pole the versicharge for available current before trying to prep the car. So far, the charging has taken place at approx 8:30 pm which is 1.5 hrs after the versicharge is powered up by the external timer. I have no idea why this sequence occurs. This is with smart charge enabled and not instantaneous. Even with the preset time, the instantaneous charging fails to charge the car. As a software eng, I would have the car do an EVSE pole on a periodic, say 30 min, basis constantly. But that's just me.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:40 AM, Brackenshiel said:

As a software eng, I would have the car do an EVSE pole on a periodic, say 30 min, basis constantly.

What is an EVSE pole?

Not that it's a solution for you but the OpenEVSE project has a built in timer so you don't have to control the power to the EVSE.   Might be an option if you want to spend a bunch of $

:unsure: