Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartdriver

My 2005 Cabriolet Brakes Seem A Little "Spongy"

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just drove my 2005 Cabriolet with 45,000 km on the odometer after a few weeks sitting and I noticed that the brakes were softer than normal when I pressed the pedal.

They would firm up if I pumped the pedal, but otherwise they still functioned.

I was wondering as a non-mechanic what changes could have occurred to make them feel "spongy".

Edited by smartdriver

Air in the lines, try bleeding them and all should be good.....watch the fluid level as not to allow more air into the system when doing this job....again just saying.....a brake job is a simple job as is bleeding the brakes.....once you have done it a few times you'll understand why.  Always replace any questionable parts, hardware and lines when doing this job.  Inspect everything, you may just have a small leak?

Thanks for the reply.

One thought struck me.

The front disks have the original, now 13 year old, flexible rubber hoses. Is there any chance that they are expanding as the brakes are applied?

The old modder in me will always say stainless steel lines are best, but new stockers are far better than old weak brake lines...lol

You could get someone to push on the brakes and watch the lines to see, IF you can see any movement in them, usually you can't easily see anything worth reporting.

Posted (edited) · Report post

could be rear adjusters...could be soft hoses...could be air in the system or just plain old fluid

start with the easy stuff and do a full bleed ...use buckstore turkey baster to remove what you can from master then add fresh fluid and bleed one section at a time until new stuff comes out ...

changed my front hoses once...got them from partsource but they had to ship them from a BC location

Edited by LooseLugNuts