kducheneaux

Hi I'm new

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome to the club. what in the line of maintenance are you looking for? Are you going to be doing this your self?

Edited by Wild!

You have come to the right place......there is a wealth of information here for these Smart Cars.....excellent. And very helpfull folks to boot!

Welcome.

Welcome.  If you have not already make sure you contact the nearest smart center and make an appointment to have the current recall taken care of on your car.

That is really something you would have to confirm with the potential service center.  If you have a regular mechanic that you trust, I would stick with them if they are willing to work on the car.  0W40 Mobil 1 Synthetic is most often used.   Castrol also has a Synth 0W40 Edge oil.

I buy oil and filters when they are on sale and supply those to the mechanic I use.

Buy yourself a oil sucker and start doing it yourself, very very simple and surprisingly quick!....just saying.....totally took me by surprise how easy it is compared to jacking up the v ehicle and doing it the old fashioned way so to speak. Seems this is how most garages do it in Europe etc.  I would have argued this way was idiotic before doing it myself for the first time.  The sucker can be bought relatively cheap on Amazon etc or from a good parts store.....probably for more $$$ though.

23 minutes ago, kducheneaux said:

Where do u buy filters at?

Walmart, any auto parts chain, online.  Mobil 1 M1-108 or equivalent filter.

The mechanic I use charged me for about 30 minutes of labour, about $30, for me once a year.  Well worth not having to crawl around on the ground or have to dispose of used oil and filter.

Wow, once a year.....you don't put that many miles on your Smart a year then....lol...I have to change my oil every 3 months Hmmm...I must be doing something wrong...lol.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Hmmm...I must be doing something wrong...lol.

No, you are doing something right! .. these cars need to be run.

I have noticed that my fuel consumption rates have dropped significantly after owning it for a few months or more now, It gets fuel additive every other tank and driven for at least 1/2 hour 99% of the time before getting shut down on no city streets, so very little stop and go traffic.  I live away from the hustle and bussle of city life.....better known as god's country...lol.  Where ever that might be for you personally...lol  For me it's away from the crazy city lifestyles. My car now can get as low as 3.4lph average up to under 4lph.....can't say enough good things about it.....the only drawback I am now experiencing is, sometimes it take 20 minutes to get out of a parking lot........people asking me about the car...lol and me getting them to sit in it and showing them it's actually bigger than a golf ball...lol.