Luca

Smart 800 CDI - turbine humidity issues

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,
 I recently bought a Smart 800 CDI of the year 2000 with 170.000 km (i Know it is a lot, but the price was almost 0). The car works, but has 2 main issues:
- as shown in the attached pictures there is an oil leak somewhere near the turbine
- the previous owner told me that with the rain the car stops working because of some electrical problem

As A side note, I tried to remove the black plastic tube connected to the input side of the turbine. The turbine shaft seems to be firm, meaning that the shaft is not slack (maybe only a tiny).

Could someone point me toward some page where I can have som hints about what is going on for these two issue?

Thank you!

IMG_20180603_120459.jpg

IMG_20180603_120452.jpg

IMG_20180602_123138.jpg

IMG_20180602_123123.jpg

IMG_20180602_123057.jpg

Oil around turbine is normal. Caused by blow by. Thicker oil may improve amount of oil in engine breather pipe. 

Humidity issue may be worn cables to clutch actuator, gear change actuator and sensors on transmission. A fairly common fault that is easily fixed. 

1 person likes this

Things you could do to reduce oil leaks around turbine:

1) Ensure there are no restrictions in lnlet air duct.  Check from inlet at side to airbox as the top joint there is commonly not reconnected right by mechanics.  Pull centre piece out of inlet at side to check.

2) Fit clean standard paper air filter.  Note that the diesel air filter has more pleats that the petrol air filter.  They look the same but are indeed different.

3) Use heavier grade oil and do not overfill sump.

4) Confirm oil can drain freely from turbo bearing housing.  There are usually some burrs inside return pipe and lower aluminium connection piece against block that may be removed to improve flow.

5) Consider fitting some sort of separator to separate out oil from engine breather gases or simply fit a catch tank.

There is an issue with support cradle for intercooler cutting through lower part of intercooler.  Something you ought to look into.

Also worth while to blank off egr gas supply to egr valve to avoid egr trouble, improved combustion and less smoke.

1 person likes this

I am currently testing out 15w50 Castro’s GTX on my 450 diesel. 

411C66FD-B81D-437D-A2D3-95C42FAE6E8F.jpeg

1 person likes this

Thank you!

I'll try to have a look at the turbine and at the cables this weekend!

I doubt your turbo is the cause of the oil leak. 

10 hours ago, tolsen said:

I am currently testing out 15w50 Castro’s GTX on my 450 diesel. 

411C66FD-B81D-437D-A2D3-95C42FAE6E8F.jpeg

Acquired the 22+ year old oil from the garage of an elderly lady. Not Castro’s but Castrol.  Apple’s spell checker must be communist. 

1) Ensure there are no restrictions in lnlet air duct

Apparently this was the issue. I went to a Smart center and they told me that the pipes used were from another model (probably 451), so there were some restrictions that caused the oil leakeage.

Thank you all for the useful suggestions!

Concerning the water problem, if can be helpful for someone, I noticed that the rear small window have a leak and I also noticed a leak in the front part of the car, probably due to a not properly sealed windshield.

I will go back with my car to the center to have it fixed since I am not capable of doing this alone.