ChickenGeorge

dash display remains on

6 posts in this topic

I recently had issues with my SAM, where one of the pins had fused together with an adjacent pin.

This was impacting the brake with (No brake lights)

I removed the SAM and considered bi-passing the wire as per a thread on clubsmartcar, but thought I would start with cleaning up the connection and try that out first.

This seems to have worked, with one exception

When I remove the key from the ignition, the dash remains lit. No values show, just the templated circles and other parts of the display.

I lock the doors, it stays on, 24/7.

Is there a power lead that is feeding this?

Any thoughts as to how to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

George

Posted (edited) · Report post

There's a few fuse holders that clips on to the side of the SAM. Whenever they're misplaced, the symptoms that you described could happen. The side of the SAM provides switched and constant power.

Picture from evilution.co.uk

diagram.jpg

Edited by stickman007

Well, that worked for fixing that issue, but my non working brake lights are back.

have you been able to source the fuse holders in Alberta:

Also wondering if you know where I can source a replacement wiring harness with a N11-3 connector with cable?

Is this something MB carries in stock?

fuse holders.jpeg

Mercedes has those for sure, because I changed mine.  They gave me mine for free because my 2 year 1 month old SAM had a headlight problem and maybe they felt sorry for me (out of the parts warranty) but normally it's about $65.

OEM repair for the N11- connectors:

https://shop.flyingtiger.ca/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_str=SAM&x=0&y=0

However, in the past, I simply remove the wire(s) from the connector and solder directly on the SAM for repair. While you're at it, you can do a conformal coat on the electrical board.

Depending on the fuse holder colour that you want, they have different part# - you can look them up on the evilution site, (highly recommend signing up if you plan on doing any work on your own).