Kellythedog

New Member..so excited so many questions

12 posts in this topic

i am the proud owner of a very used 2005 diesel Smart convertible  (label says Passion.)

I've had it 4 days..it was in impulse buy.

This is the craziest car I've ever owned..its like a Tardis, it feels big on the inside and small on the outside.

My wife and I just love to drive this, and I'm looking forward to all the information on the Forum which comes highly recommended by Google.

I have two questions right off the bat someone may know the answer to.

1. there is a a little what looks like a flat tire on the dash between the Tach and the clock. I have no idea what it does.

its not shown in the owners manual, and i cant seem to see a photo of it on the internet.

The light only comes on with the headlights,

oddest thing ive ever seen. 

if anyone knows what it is I would be greatful

2.  I know the transmissions are odd, I expect that, but i cant tell if the clutch is slipping or thats the way its supposed to be.

in A mode accelerating the car lurches between shifts, to the point that you wonder if its ever going to shift, and then it does.

And when starting from a stop, its almost like there is a delay in if its going to go foward or not when you push the gas.

But once you get going it goes.  No issues going up hills and i had it on the highway and it runs great 

Ive seen videos and notes about this type of issue but is there a way to tell if its normal or clutch type issues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome to CsC.

If the tire symbol is illuminated it may be an issue with the E-box in the passenger foot well.

The transmission should takes about 1 second to shift.  The cars rock when shifting.  They are slow off the line, unless remapped.

Edited by Huronlad

Huronlad is right, there is a silver box the size of a pack of cigarettes just above the battery in the passenger footwell.  Look for corrosion on those connections.  And for a root cause (windshield leak?).

Posted (edited) · Report post

one is for seatbelt..one is for door ajar...one is for water in the fuel filter and ive never figured the fourth light because ive never seen it light up 

welcome to here

here is a thread about the e-box ...with some pictures 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I just looked in my manual and it doesn’t show any indication of what the fourth light might be.  Possibly a fog light indicator or a check engine light for gasoline emissions.  Maybe Glenn knows he just spent a couple of weeks in a petrol smart.  A clutch actuator service and teach in can improve the shifting as well as learning to manually select the gear changes.

Nigel

The fourth light was intended as a flat tire warning because at the time the smart was being certified for Canada it seemed that TPMS would be mandatory.  It wasn't, so this light is not used.  The "Canada E-Box" operates it.

First off, welcome to the club!

The "lurching" between shifts Is similar to what you would get in a normal standard transmission car when shifting.  The smart is a standard trans. without the clutch pedal.  If you chose to manually shift, the cars computer will back off the throttle,  disengage the clutch, shift the gear, re-engage the clutch and reapply the throttle.  Using the "A" (auto mode), the cars computer will decide for you when the best time is to shift, and will do so at that point.  To adjust the revs at which the car changes gears in the auto mode, a remap will help.

oh man..you guys are awesome...

it is a flat tire on the light..and I knew the car didn't have TPMS (or was it supposed to and I didnt have sensors in the tires) so i was trying to figure out exactly what it was all about.

And no mention what so ever in the manual.

I guess the engineers said..we will put this here just in case....and if we need it its there is we don't we wont say anything about it.

attached is a nice photo.

one issue down....

the clutch thing I need to read up on, a service and learn in..ill poke about and what that really means..thanks again.

dash lights.JPG

Thank you Mike and Kellythedog.  That light doesn’t illuminate on my car.

Nigel

You need to check the clutch actuator under the car. It needs to be snug to the clutch release bearing.

That's a starting point.

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

That light doesn’t illuminate on my car.

It doesn't illuminate on either of mine as well.

Welcome to this great site, very helpful guys here and knowledgable also....lol

For a very technical site search out evilution.uk.co  I think it is....There is a small fee for their vast wealth of knowledge but it's well worth it...imho....you have to pay the small fee or you can deside to really help them with far more..lol. I'm cheap...lol. It isn't a chatty site at all where as this site you get a human responce with is great.

Again welcome enjoy.    I shift in the manual position it's far smoother and well worth the time to learn it's sweet spots...just saying. You do not need to lift the accellerator you simply decide at what rpms to shift and shift the car does the rest. IF you are familiar driving a stick, think about the normal time it takes to shift through the gears, it's roughly the same when all is said and done...imho...unless you like to speed shift etc etc.