Noxz

450 engine (bay) dimensions?

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, cross-posting from the American forum as you all have quite a bit more 450s (albeit CDIs)..

Although I searched a bit, I was unable to find any technical documents/spec sheets on the specific engines (OM660/M160) dimensions. Or maybe the empty engine bay's dimensions?

I am interested in possibly swapping a different diesel engine make into a 450 ( originally a G&K, turbo petrol) over a swap to CDI simply due to lack of original power of the OM660 (a remap may actually 'solve' this 'issue').

I do not have a 450, yet. I want to verify what may or may not work but haven't been able to locate such dimensions/tech sheets anywhere just yet.

I haven't completely dismissed doing the OM660 swap.. maybe someone in Vancouver wants the petrol engine as a trade? :) 

Thanks!

Welcome, the cdi with a good remap will pound out 100 lbs.ft and over 60 HP.....the top speed gets up to 100 MPH and 0-60 down to about 14-15 seconds.  So the speed is similar to a 61 HP gasser, if not a bit quicker, and the remapped diesel definitely has a higher (unrestricted) top speed.  Fuel consumption is still around 60 U.S. MPG if driven gently.

That would be a much simpler approach than trying to effectively engineer another diesel into this tiny engine compartment (a Yanmar marine diesel might fit, a small one).  The electrical system is multiplexed so trying to make it all work would be a total nightmare,

You'll not likely find someone wanting to transplant, but there are wreckers up here with cdi drivetrains and the other bits you would need to make it work, like the fuel tank with adjacent fuel cooler (yep).  It's a huge job....either way....

Welcome Noxy, just curious what's your end goal for the car? Just a novelty machine or a fuel saver?  IF novelty, then the bike conversion is the best way I would think if you can organize a reverse into the mix somehow, that is without sticking your leg out and pushing...lol....BUT IF a fual saver, the stock diesel is very very difficult to beat!  It simply comes down to acepting the slow off the mark speed capabilities and once moving enjoying the insane fuel savings. Along with the small car experience...lol.

From what I'm experiencing so far and I've only had mine for months, is it takes some getting used to the lack of go from a stop, but once moving you can easily keep up with traffic at the speed limits. I have a remap and am enjoying fuel consumption rates into the mid 70 MPGs I do not pound on it as that is simply a dead horse once you see the limitations imho, so I am striving for the other  thrill now.....screwing the government for every last red cent of fuel taxes......lol.  
As MikeT has mentioned the car's nervous system, the electrical side of things is tied into everything possible and one bite into a wire sends something strange to the computer...I simply bit into a keyed wire that happened to be in the fuel warning systen for the fuel filter system and now get a dimly lite warning light because of it, and I just used that wire to activate a relay....nothing more.  I power anything that isn't stock electronics through a secondary fuse panel so as not to upset the computer system.....so i don't need to reflash it so it recognizes what I have done as OK.   So, completely changing out one drive system to another will create havock I can only imagine....just saying.
Please keep us in the loop if you do try, I'd love to see how you make out. Also, do you have to get your vehicles checked yearly for emmissions like we do here in Ontario Canada and if so how would you get past it...if codes were created?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies.. and good to know nobody up there wants the petrol one! certainly some are on craigslist for acceptable prices.

My goal is actually to run biodiesel that I plan on making myself (slightly more advanced than your backyard method of lye+MeOH).. I'm essentially against 'oil'/gas in general and my other car is an project electric kit car from 1980 - not yet running, and my other other car is a bicycle :)

Also the 450 (and likely the 451 but lets not go there) fits in my tiny driveway (electric car in garage)

The actual distances that I need to travel aren't much - at this time, but every MPG gained - even if I make my own fuel - is better.

I've been trying to find comparable small diesels that will fit in the space (hence the dimension question) but it is certainly in there for a reason - it's the smallest!

Very good to know the remap is essentially all that is needed..

I have contacted Leroy on the other forum and will be speaking with him about what the swap entails - he has done quite a few of them. So plenty of good info in that regard to make it a CDI... even if it does take a bit of effort. 

I am in Seattle, WA  - and Washington does not do emission testing on diesel vehicles under 6000lbs - so I wont even be smog tested..

Due to the car being a legal import to the US (with conformity mods) would make crossing the border [with a different motor in it] rather easy (Can the swap be done in a single weekend? a question for Leroy)

Thanks so much, and I'll keep everyone posted on what becomes of this project!

P.S.

I am still interested in the dimensions, if someone has a few minutes and a measuring tape :)

Edited by Noxz

It would be an epic weekend job to change all the stuff in a gasser to make it a cdi, probably 30+ hours' work for very skilled mechanics.  The cdi also has an electric booster heater, glow plugs and all those goodies are hard wired into the electric system, so you should expect to do a wiring system transplant too.

I would not even attempt the swap - too many things that can go wrong!

You would be better off to buy a good used cdi. There are people that could assist you in getting the car registered in the states.

Not the easiest process, but it can be done.