Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaysmart

OIL LEAKING PROBLEM

3 posts in this topic

Hello. I am new to this site as well as owning a smart car. I managed to scoop one a week ago for a fairly decent price because it had an oil burning issue. I thought I would take a chance and possibly get myself an excellent deal. I am having extreme difficulty however in diagnosing the root of my problem. I have dropped the motor and pulled the intercooler and checked all surrounding pipes and lines. It all seems well. There is an abundance of oil leaking out onto the left side of the engine bay (if you're looking at the back of the car). I also pulled the injectors and they seemed to be working soundly. I was thinking it could possibly have something to do with the turbocharger however I still get an ample amount of power. This thing smokes like absolute crazy. Burned through every drop of oil in a matter of days. The smoke is almost white in colour which led me to believe head gasket, although I am yet to see any oil mixed in with my coolant. Im highly confused and would love if someone could give me some ideas on what to do next. It is a diesel so I know they are supposed to smoke a bit, but this thing is just over the top. Also....the smoke seems to reside slightly after I reach operating temperature  driving on the highway. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! 

Jason. 

Welcome to the site....you have come to the right place for all things concerning our Smart Cars.....

The man to ask is Glenn Smart142....damn I hope i got it right this time...lol...
he is the guy who knows all.....he works on them and is a great guy to deal with. Very helpful ....I'm sure he'll respond soon.
Again welcome....

Welcome Jason!

There is an oil feed and return line to the turbo. The feed line is the smaller diameter of the two. With the engine running check to see if they are leaking.

If the oil lines to the turbo are not leaking then I would suspect the seals in the turbo are gone.

Turbos are expensive. There is a rebuilder in St.Thomas Ontario that rebuilds them - Cherry turbo.... http://www.cherryturbos.com/

1 person likes this