Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Front LED driving lights?

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

when you get deep into it though (as some coppers are proud to do)..they do need to be compliant in some way (SAE or DOT)

technically those led light bars are for off road use only

if you run into supercop who knows every law you might even get in trouble for turning off the factory drl and moving them to another location...im almost certain that all factory safety "equipment and features" need to function the exact way the factory intended and installed them

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Yes I am fully aware of the super cops, I've had my fair share of run ins with those idiots!   When modifying Jeeps to play in the woods 38 years ago now, wow,I'm OLD...lol Jeeps even had leaf springs back then also..lol.  We made some insane machines to see where we could push them. Drove them to the woods and tried to drive them home...lol  Mud flaps and modified shackles were their best issues, that was if nothing was obviously sideways..lol. We even carried vise grips and zip ties just to hang floor mats onto our fenders to get the tires to be no more than 2 inches I think it was past the bodywork! We use to run double flexable shackles to get more artitulation and that was anopther no no...as far as they were concerned....the old it didn't come from the factory with those so take them off...yeh right! Just give me the ticket and we'll see you later.  By that time they were swapped out, well before cameras and phones etc etc, so his word agains mine and I drove the Jeep to the court so the judge if he wanted could go see...lol. got off every time!  So you are definately right about the super cop knowing if it wasn't that way when it left the factory it can't be run on the street, period!  
I went to Princess Auto today, and looked for the same ones I installed on my Rav4, damn they are expensive when not on sale....so I'll be waiting to buy two...lol.
I'll work on the trailer maybe first.....lol.

I refuse to buy excellent lights as they always get destroyed sooner than later by a gravel truck up here or simply a rouge rock being kicked up after some fool slips into the shoulder while texting  etc on their way home from the cottage etc...lol. I used to buy top quality lighting way way back when rallying so to speak in England......huge 10" halegens...make the night become day, with a simple flick of the switch.....now you can almost do the same using a crap chinese LED spot for less that a case of beer!

Hmmmm after searching for 2 inch round LEDs I stumbled upon these surface mount  same thing lights. Thinking I may just bore into the front cowl or front fender  in front of wheels and have these sit flush at the exact location where they would be as close to level or slightly angled downwards etc as not to completely blind the oncoming traffic and get Barney interested in me...lol.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Backup-Driving-Lights-Bumper/dp/B078WNM3K9/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078WNM3K9&pd_rd_r=dee66807-7306-11e8-a5fb-5d5816128136&pd_rd_w=fzLv3&pd_rd_wg=JzPZ7&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3914568618330124508&pf_rd_r=FQASBP87D2BTEAETHMMK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FQASBP87D2BTEAETHMMK

Cheap enough and they really are the same light as the stand up versions as you can see where the mounting bracket would normally attach. But these wouldn't be in your face so to speak sitting out on amount but rather nicely imbedded in the bodywork..?
Thoughts...???

Personally, I think vehicles that are modified for off-road use (especially with suspension lifts) should be banned from the road. By raising the bumpers up well above their designed height, they basically get turned into death machines in the event of a collision.

2 people like this

On 6/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, Willys said:

Hmmmm after searching for 2 inch round LEDs I stumbled upon these surface mount  same thing lights. Thinking I may just bore into the front cowl or front fender  in front of wheels and have these sit flush at the exact location where they would be as close to level or slightly angled downwards etc as not to completely blind the oncoming traffic and get Barney interested in me...lol.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Backup-Driving-Lights-Bumper/dp/B078WNM3K9/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078WNM3K9&pd_rd_r=dee66807-7306-11e8-a5fb-5d5816128136&pd_rd_w=fzLv3&pd_rd_wg=JzPZ7&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3914568618330124508&pf_rd_r=FQASBP87D2BTEAETHMMK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FQASBP87D2BTEAETHMMK

Cheap enough and they really are the same light as the stand up versions as you can see where the mounting bracket would normally attach. But these wouldn't be in your face so to speak sitting out on amount but rather nicely imbedded in the bodywork..?
Thoughts...???

i dont like the idea of cutting holes in a car

unless maybe you are just talking about the little removable grill and have spare ones 

No I was thinking the front of the fender directly in front of the wheels......but I could also make up new panels for the lower two cut out areas so the lights are flush with the bodywork and relocate the winter heater plug...?   My plan is to drive my second car during the salt season and drive the good completely rust free car during the summer months. so I wouldn't beed the sump heater on the good car....so that area where the plug is located could be used for the lights.
I am going to get a sump with a drain plug installed i think, I can't see the point now of pumping the oil out when I have to get underneath anyway to change the filter and create the mess.....so why not do it the old fashioned way...?...lol