Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smartcarluvr

Smart Fortwo electric drive

5 posts in this topic

I am very interested in purchasing a 2015 Smart Fortwo electric drive, but only getting about 60 miles per full charge could potentially be a problem, so I have a quick question. Does the 2015 Smart Fortwo electric drive also have a fuel tank so that in case you do run out of charge, it rolls over to fuel? And if it does contain a fuel tank, what would the mpg be when using fuel?

Welcome . The short answer is NO.  The smart ED  is purely electric.  60 miles on a full charge seems a bit short to me, but perhaps others here who actually own an electric smart can answer the range issue with a little more authority. Summertime usage should be less which means you (theoretically) should be able to go further.

Range depends on a number of factors, including terrain (hills = bad) and driving style (heavy right foot = bad).

I never closely tracked the best and worst range I saw in my ED, but I easily got over 60 miles (96.56 km) in the summer... on flat ground... driving gently... with no A/C on. I'm pretty sure I got 110 to 120 km on occasion. But you'll also lose a significant amount of range in the winter... about 30%.

If you are in a situation where your commute is 60+ miles round-trip, the smart ED is probably not the right vehicle for you. 

like Darren write , i have the same range with my 2014 ED , there is no change of performance since the first year of ED and now , it is the same batery . your style of drive can change the range , more the speed is higt more your range be affected ,

love my 2013 smart ed

60 miles max is about right.

If in stop and go or slow roads you can go further.

Chargers and staying places for hours are the key.

It is a pure commuter car, nothing else, but very good at it and can be parked where no car parked before.

I mean it!