JamesSeidel

2006 450 burning tons of oil - opinions/help!

17 posts in this topic

Hi folks!   I am a brand new owner of a 2006 450 turbo diesel - bought it for my 19 year old son who's in college.   He wanted cheap transportation home on weekends as he will be a couple of hours away.  We saw a great deal on this car for $2000.   Needs new injectors and blows lots of smoke the lady says on the phone.  We went there and looked at the motor and I could see a TON of oil leaking at the back left corner so I suspected there was more to it than this.   The smoke also wasn't black - it smelled more like oil.  We drove it around and it smoked a ton but it had normal power (my friend owns a Smart diesel so I knew what to expect) so I figured the motor and turbo were probably OK.   I'm not a mechanic but I figured we'd take a chance - she knew that injectors were $1200 each so she priced it accordingly and I didn't think it was injectors.   Tons of degreaser and we see some type of oil line that starts under/right of the oil filler cap and runs over top of the engine and disappears into the frame under the driver's seat.  The braided covering has been worn away and it is leaking from where it is rubbing the frame.   Tons of oil.  Right behind the intercooler so of course the fan has pulled tons of oil into the intercooler.   I pulled the intercooler, cleaned it, stuck it into a tub of water, plugged one side and blasted some air through a towel on the other.   Tons of bubbles right along where the plastic hits the metal between the intake and outlets.    My question...  the intercooler is supposed to be pressing air under high pressure but if it is badly cracked, does it ever create a vacuum where it could be sucking in that oil?   Maybe when you have your foot off the accelerator?  I'm thinking yes because the hose going into the EGR and coming out of the EGR is filled with gunk.  I'll take the EGR off and clean it tomorrow ….   I'm guessing I can't fix this intercooler - a new intercooler looks to be $345.  Anybody know a cheaper place than germanparts.ca?   Also, this oil line that goes across the engine from front right to back left - what is it, what is it called, where does it go,  and where do I get a replacement??   It someone can help me on this - I'd be super dee dooper grateful....

345 is sort of normal, but they're cheaper in Europe; however postage charges can be usurious.  Are you sure it's combusting in in the chamber?

Usurious.  Awesome word!   Thanks for looking at this.   Well, there was lots of smoke coming out .. maybe from the intercooler being busted?    I thought unburnt diesel was black.  This stuff was grey/white...   What about the tons of oil in the hose into/out of the EGR ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

i dont recall any kind of oil line in the location youre describing

the only thing i can think of near the filler cap is a vacuum line from the vacuum pump which is there because diesel engines do not make vacuum

Edited by LooseLugNuts

IF you wish to try and save even more $$$ try and seal the bottom fins or tubes with some type of two part epoxy after cleaning very well, the intercooler that is.....plenty of threads dealing with this or spend and be done with it....Trim back the plastic of the intercooler scoop so it can't rub again and if you do seal the holes up also add a strip of alluminium over your repair to help shield the tubes from any future chance of rubbing and this flat plate will also supply strength to the repair.

Thanks you guys.  OK - LooseLugNuts - that line is a 10mm plastic line running from the right of the filler cap across the top of the motor to under the driver's seat somewhere.   So there's a vacuum pump under there.   Is there any way that line can be sucking in oil?  I can't figure out where all this oil came from...

So after I read some more about this plastic mounting bracket rubbing the intercooler I had a closer look.   Nine rows across the bottom of this intercooler are completely severed like someone took a hacksaw to it.   So this intercooler is basically blowing a lot of air/oil out the bottom of it and achieving not much else.  It still doesn't explain why I'm losing so much oil.  But I'm sure this didn't help...

13 hours ago, JamesSeidel said:

Thanks you guys.  OK - LooseLugNuts - that line is a 10mm plastic line running from the right of the filler cap across the top of the motor to under the driver's seat somewhere.   So there's a vacuum pump under there.   Is there any way that line can be sucking in oil?  I can't figure out where all this oil came from...

if its a vacuum line there should not be oil in it

the pump is on the engine....whats under the floor might be a vacuum reservoir or brake booster...im just guessing here as ive never delved into the vacuum system on these 

a picture is worth a thousand words

3 hours ago, JamesSeidel said:

So after I read some more about this plastic mounting bracket rubbing the intercooler I had a closer look.   Nine rows across the bottom of this intercooler are completely severed like someone took a hacksaw to it.   So this intercooler is basically blowing a lot of air/oil out the bottom of it and achieving not much else.  It still doesn't explain why I'm losing so much oil.  But I'm sure this didn't help...

i would inspect the turbo before spending money on the intercooler

also im cheap so id attempt to repair the intercooler before replacing it

Oil leak is fairly normal on these wee engines and comes mainly from engine breather pipe but may also come from leaking turbo.

Problem with intercooler is rather poorly designed support cradle which cuts into it causing leaks.  Cut away part of support cradle that cuts into intercooler and add additional support at its sides where intercooler has much thicker metal.

Intercooler can be repaired or you can buy new.  Cost is currently £116 with postage to Canada.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissens-Charge-Air-Intercooler-96499-/123002671694?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#shpCntId

Smoke is usually caused by stuck and EGR valve.  Clean valve, ensure it can move freely and block exhaust supply to EGR valve to avoid future EGR trouble.

1 person likes this

Thanks again, guys.   I ordered a new intercooler yesterday ... paid $400 but the thing got here today so I guess that's worth something.  I'll pull of the EGR and clean it as well.   The hoses going into and out of it look pretty gucky on the insides.  Yes, that other line starting at the oil filler cap and heading under the driver's seat provides vacuum for power brakes, I've been told.  So I'm guessing all the oil is just spraying from the intercooler and covering that hose which isn't actually leaking.   So that's good.  Now to finish this job and PRAY that we aren't fumigating the neighborhood when I start this thing up again...

Finally got around to replacing the two busted front springs and got the car on the road today with the new intercooler and clean EGR valve.   Smoked like CRAZY and burned a litre of oil during a 40K test drive (we have a bunch of Sea Foam and injector cleaner that we put in when we bought the car so we expected some smoke...).   Seems to have lots of power.  Didn't seem to smoke at highway speed, strangely...   This is really weird....AARRGHHH!!!!

1 person likes this

Does engine leak all that oil or does it burn it?  Perhaps a combination of the two?  

I suggest you seal most leaks and run a few engine oil flushes. I use a cheap engine flush costing £3 per shot. Pour the stuff in prior to oil change and follow instructions. Product claims to free sticking piston rings. 

So most things I'm reading about the Batman smoke cloud I'm producing and prodigious burning of oil is pointing at the turbo even though I have lots of power.   I ordered one from the US on eBay for about $600 CDN including shipping (hopefully I don't get hammered too badly on duties when it gets delivered).   And I bought a couple gaskets that it looks like I might need for $25.   Everything should be  here in about a week... if it works, I still got a decent car for around 3 grand ...  stay tuned!!!

So we finally had the turbo delivered, cost me $567 Cdn and they didn't ask for any duty or taxes.  Installed it today, no smoke at all now, looks like that was the problem.  Kid's happy as hell.   Only took us 2 months to get his car on the road!!  Thanks for all your advice on this site - really appreciated!

So now we know it was you causing all the smoke and not the wild fires..lol.  Take care there, I had a buddy who watched the flames get 100 feet from his home, that was all he needed to say enough is enough and fled to the island...lol.  Fantastic place Kelowna, beautiful and he even had catcus growing in his back yard and simply brushed the snow from his driveway if it stuck.......coming from Ontario, that was huge!
Enjoy the little car, it's a hoot!