Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Red Pxl Thread

58 posts in this topic

I would absolutely recommend keeping that same engine... but do you really need to renew all those internal parts? Have you though of getting an oil sample?

The car is right at that point where all of this preservation work is not expensive per se, and totally worth it in the long run....

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, stickman007 said:

@smart142 Where do you source your hydraulic lifters, timing chain, oil pump sprocket...etc? Just in case. Would it be "smarter" to find an used engine to recondition, then swap?

Those can all be bought at Mercedes.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, stickman007 said:

@smart142 Where do you source your hydraulic lifters, timing chain, oil pump sprocket...etc? Just in case. Would it be "smarter" to find an used engine to recondition, then swap?

LOL....that's why I bought my second SmartCar....just to have a running engine to rebuild, then I started looking at it as a winter beater to preserve the car I drive now.....I still have two running engines all the same...just don't have one to tear a part without destroying a running vehicle....maybe I need another, "Please Sir, Can I have Another...?"......lol

Edited by Willys

I don't think it needs all those engine internals...just paranoid (worst case scenario planning). Contrary to the perception (because I posted all these things that I want to check/work on), the car is in great shape, as I've said earlier, I have issues with perfection...

With the fresh engine oil change, I will need to run it a few hundred kms before I can get a decent oil sample. But thanks for the tips to send the samples to Finning...I think that's where I will get it done.

best to have 1000 kms on the oil if possible - results are always better compared in ppm / 1000 kms, at least as far as wear particles go.....

Took Red Pxl out of storage yesterday and took it for a rip out of town. Was driving it most of today and put on about 200km in just 2 days!

Got my new KWP2000+ work finally (thank you tolsen for the driver), so I remapped the car. 

Plan to drive the Canada1 for the next month or so just to get it out of my system before storing her again for winter.

That car which is now yours was the one that my friend's 17 year old son always loved - so much so, he always said wanted a smart.

Today he's getting one, with a full selection of oil for the next three changes and Howes additives to keep it running clean. ;)

I will win the lottery and buy the cab out east perhaps. :)

1 person likes this

The cab is worth getting hold of.  Never had so much fun with my clothes on.

1 person likes this