Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
candave

05 cdi cranks but no start

6 posts in this topic

Hello i picked up a 2005 smart pure cdi 134 klm when i got it the fella i got it from told me it was runing but one day just stopped runing and was never able to get it runing again told me it needed a starter  i repleced the starter turned out it needed and altornator aswell  thats done now   it cracks nice and fast the lift pump is pumping fuel up to the rail im thinking the injectors are not fireing into the cyl it will start by sprying brake fluid in to the itake this tells me its not getting fuel   what next  what triggers the injectors to fire

The ECU is responsible for signalling the injectors. You can try to see if you are getting any signal to any of the injectors. The crank position sensor informs the ECU the timing. 

ECU is on the side of the airbox. The crank position sensor is located on the top side of bell housing besides the intercooler and under high pressure fuel pump.  Good luck!

9 hours ago, stickman007 said:

The ECU is responsible for signalling the injectors. You can try to see if you are getting any signal to any of the injectors. The crank position sensor informs the ECU the timing. 

ECU is on the side of the airbox. The crank position sensor is located on the top side of bell housing besides the intercooler and under high pressure fuel pump.  Good luck!

So that is the ECU....I looked at that yesterday while bleeding all over it...lol...Thanks....I sure wish we could buy a regualr shop manual for our cars, even the cheap Hyanes or Clymer versions would be great!

Sorry to hijack.

Is there any reason to touch that ECU other than to be nosey? Or I'll leave well enough alone?   I like to take things off and freshen them up, install dilectric grease etc etc....no..?

Again sorry to hi-jack.

You could take the ECU off, then send it to smart142 for a remap!

The ECU doesn't come off very often...usually you can test the harness for wiring issues.

Hmmm....yes that's an option also, but, I need to get it running first before spending too much on a remap.....I simply want it easy to work on and reliable to start off with then the fun begins.....I simply want the EGR out of the way and gone if it'll run fine without it..lol.    The car will never need to get sniffed so to speak.....so no worries there.  Wink wink...lol.

That emulator is tiny!   Excellent job....and it hasn't any issues to speak of..?

It’s unlikely that a test facility will even look for the EGR if the emulator is doing its job.

1 person likes this