Thio

Headliner removal for 2006 Grandstyle

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Just got myself a beautiful Grandstyle and just loving it. My headliner seems to be losing its grip on the panel and needs replacing.The foam is deteriorating. I searched this site for tips or instructions to removing it but cannot find anything except for cabriolet info.

I would appreciate some help if possible. If not, no worries.

Cheers mate!

Welcome Thio

You need to get together with Jonathon ( Willys ) he has one with the same problem and he is about 15 or 20 minutes north of you.  My wife worked in Uxbridge for the last ten years or so but retired last week.  If any of us can be of any help just ask.

Nigel

Welcome Thio....this is a great site for all things Smart related for sure.....many very helpfull people here will ling to bend over backwards to help someone in need.  I live in Pefferlaw and drive to Uxbridge semi regularly, last weekend spoent the night at your friendly medical building...lol. Quietest I've seen it yet! Figures everytime i need to go for myself it's packed, when the wife needs to go she get seen to straight away and in she goes...lol. Maybe it's me..?

Yes i also have the very same issue on my passion with a sun roof, my spare or second Smart.  I have had this issue also on a pick me up truck and I tried a few things but it seemed to always come back.   IF you really want to do it well and it must really look stock, it may be best to get it done professionally..?  But if you simply want it restuck back up, I will be rubbing any deteriored foam off and sanding any good down to blend the two surfaces together then using either contact cement or clear silicon, depending upon what I find while doing the job.  I will say, the truck's roof wasn't pretty but I also didn't care about that truck just wanted it stuck back up. I simply rubbed the dead foam off with finger then sprayed contact adhesive and pressed it together. That adhesive would have worked if I had cleaned the surfaces better and gotten all the dead foam off. But seeing as I didn't it simply fell back down after a few weeks in the sun.    Again, if you are a perfectionist and can't spend the time or have the skills.....maybe best to talk to a upholstey guy , someone who does classic car interiors etc.......but I bet it won't be cheap.....especially if they need to tear it all down etc....I have a classic truck and the roof liner in that they wanted $400 and it's nothing special, I could even make it but, it should be done right visually.

If you like we could meet up for a coffee etc....let me know.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Thio and Willys

This video showed up in my recommended YouTube channel.  It might be worth a look and possibly a headliner party.

Nigel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdH-UPFVAt0

It's how i had planned on attacking this issue, i have 3m adhesive already, the needle was a neat idea though...but my issue is right at the edge so I'm into either spraying the glue directly onto the material and top and waiting to maybe get it right or at least semi presentable, I also have the lighter coloured material so the glue will show through they say.  So, we'll have to wait and see...lol

It's so hot outside today with 100plus humidity levels I'm staying inside and watching TV ...it can wait!   I don't have air in my garage, but i do have an older air conditioner I have always meant to install..but how many of these humid days do we get anyway.     If you believe Al Gore, we'll have them all the time soon...lol

I decided to remove the liner wash any glue residue and it looks amazing without the headliner fabric installed. Its now easy to clean has a nice black uniform plastic texture. Very happy with that. Thanks for all the suggestions 

13 hours ago, Thio said:

I decided to remove the liner wash any glue residue and it looks amazing without the headliner fabric installed. Its now easy to clean has a nice black uniform plastic texture. Very happy with that. Thanks for all the suggestions 

Hey Thio, we need to get together, I wouldn't mind seeing your headliner without the material etc on it. I have my second, winter beater Smart  doing the very same, Hmmm....?

l contacted the mechanic that smartdriver used to free up his alternator, an amazing technician!. He removed the plastic headliner and he used a pressure washer with a rotating head on it. The fabric just peeled off effortlessly. Wow it took about 5 min. Completely cleaned and then he reinstalled it. Took about a hour from start to finish. Well worth his min charge of 190$

1 person likes this