Chaison

Can’t find parking neutral safety switch?

5 posts in this topic

Mechanic recently told us we need to change our parking neutral safety switch on our 2013 Smart Fortwo, but for some reason we can’t find the part anywhere online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As far as I'm aware, there is no natural safely switch on the 451. If its anything similar to the 450, the combination of the brake switch, the SE drive (uses hall sensors to determine the position of the shifter), informs the ECU on the conditions in which the engine can be cranked. There's also the gear selection sensor, but I believe that is not used outside of gear calibration.

The OP needs a brake lamp switch.  The US/CAN shifter in the 451 has an electro/mechanical lock for park and neutral.

1 person likes this

Yep the brake light switch allows you to select reverse but the 451 had issues with software causing the engine and gearbox to run at same speed so would not select reverse a software issue is in the transmission ecu under the passenger seat the thing to do is check actual values in the abs unit and the meg (engine ecu) and when you put your foot on the brake it should change the value for the brake light switch which means it’s working and it possibly software or hardware issue

1 person likes this