bmwmilos

Greetings from Croatia

18 posts in this topic

Greetings to all!

My name is Milos and I am from Rijeka, Croatia. I am a new owner of Smart ( well my wife to be exact ) for a couple of months. It is a 2002. City Coupe 450, 0.8 CDI, yellow/black with yellow interior ( well, dull yellow from sun exposure ). I will post photos soon. My opinion was that Smart is a way overpriced toy car,and I had my reservations before buying, but my wife wanted a Smart and that was pretty much it! Now when I got to know the car I am delighted with the purchase. Ok,it has some problems that I need to solve but the car is great. 

Some more info about me. I am an electronic technician by school, but I am a great car/mechanics lover. I lived away from the city so I drove a car very early ( 12 y.o. ) and I managed to buy one at the age of 13. I had barely money for gas so I had to learn how to repair anything that was broken. Luckily I had a neighbor who had a mechanic workshop and I "robbed" a lot of knowledge from him.

I didn't have any experience with Smart, other than occasional talk with some owner so I was a little preoccupied with potential problems, parts cost and work complexity on these cars, but fortunately I have discovered that all of my worries were unfounded. Since we bought the car I considered that the engine makes a very strange noise, but having no experience with these engines I tought it was normal, until 10 days ago I was in a vicinity of another Smart 450 CDI when it started his engine. At that time I realised I had to open my engine and check for problems because the sound was not  normal. So last week I took the car to my fathers garage and after about 2,5 hours this was the  result :

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_140428.jpg

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_140422.jpg

After some more work I disassembled the engine to find that the hydraulic lifters were destroyed, some of the rocker arms were damaged and also the valve stems where the rocker arms touch. So I loaded the engine in my car and borught it to workshop at my work to finish disassembly and diagnosis. I will start another thread on this since I do need some info and help with reassembly and hope I can receive it here.

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_203758.jpg

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_201645.jpg

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_201639.jpg

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_201634.jpg

FormatFactoryIMG_20180624_155845.jpg

Welcome to the club!

Good pictures! 

Do you know the car's history?  Oil changes and other important services done before it was yours?  How many kilometers or miles on it since the last service?  How many kms./miles on it now?

I am not a mechanic and don't pretend to be one, but from paying attention to others who know what they are talking about, I have gathered some useful information (like yourself) from them and it sounds like perhaps the oil changes weren't as frequent as needed.  Good luck with the repairs.

Ron :bike:

Unfortunately no,the car had no service history,apart from some invoices from Switzerland for stupidities like bulb changes and such. But from those invoices I think that the mileage of the car is correct ( 158 000 km ). I also think now with everything dismantled that the previous owner didn't do oil changes as needed,but I think this is quite common in these cars, especially older ones. The service at MB costs money and a lot of people do oil changes at home. However on Smart that is not possible because there is no drain plug and a lot of people don't have oil scavenge pump at home. Not to mention that you cannot always pump everything out and therefore engines end up like this( i know this same problem from working on boat engines that have scavenge pumps ). So the oil changes on these cars are rarely done regularly and also the oil level is scarsely controlled.

Now that it's in my possession I will do everything to keep it at the top condition.

I understand that doing it yourself is not everyone's cup of tea, but those who have the desire to DIY, can do it with relative ease and with the proper scavenge pump, you can excavate as much oil from the oil pan as you would with a drain plug.  It sounds like you are certainly going to take care of it once you get it sorted out.

2 hours ago, Leadwing said:

I understand that doing it yourself is not everyone's cup of tea, but those who have the desire to DIY, can do it with relative ease and with the proper scavenge pump, you can excavate as much oil from the oil pan as you would with a drain plug.  It sounds like you are certainly going to take care of it once you get it sorted out.

I've done two so far, first one done with oil almost operating temps, was easy, second with one bubble showing, it was a long drawn out proceedure and I'm sure i didn't get as much out.  Just for your information....lol. 

I like the colour with the black it looks good!  

Welcome!  We drove through Rijeka in 1984 and 1986.

Yes,but there are no valve guides listed,not on the valves,and not on the head.

Sorry, I thought they would be in there.

I think a good engine machinist would be able to figure out what to use, Mine could when machining my bike head when modifying it, he knew what would fit and work....just a suggestion over endless searching for an invisible part...?  I can't find any either,,?

Just a suggestion..?  Do you have use of such an engine builder near you?

The original guides are cast iron. It's not the problem with machining, I have a lathe at work and could make them. The problem is the material. I have discovered that the guides should the same as Vito with OM639 engine and Sprinter with OM 642. Also Jeep Cherokee CRDi. I will check with my part supplier tomorrow. The rest of the parts should be here tomorrow, so I can start assembly. I have opened another topic in 450 diesel maintenance. I will follow up with pictures there.

1 person likes this