Skerrysmart

No Start 2006 diesel 3bars or wrench 11

21 posts in this topic

Hey folks new here , Got a 06 smart on a trade, figured I came out ahead 150,000 kms, clean little car, always liked them. Driving it for about 2 weeks, As the title says no start came out of work yesterday and tried a bunch of different things from the internet

as in rock the car in gear etc No Go, either got the the wreck and 11 or the beeping and 3 bars.  called CAA towed it home, any input as to where to start would be greatly appreciated...

Kerry

Welcome.......when I first got mine home I did something similar....It turned out to simply be forgot to make sure it wasn't in gear, then I shifted it to what i thought was neutral but didn't apply the brake to let it do so, I rocked the car and turned it off and on many times then accidentally touched the brake pedal and it all started working right  or I got the correct proceedure correct and it was a very frustrating few minutes I can tell you...Never had the 3 bars of death yet, tough wood....augh!....I still get caught forgetting to switch it into neutral when i shut it off which starts the whole no start issue again, but I know what to do to get it working straight away.   Hope this helps, silly but it was my problem....I was ready to start questioning my purchase...lol. 

You need that "N" to get it to crank or you will never get her to start...lol.

If its a combination of 3 bars and beeping, the 1st thing I would check are the fuses (on your SAM).

Welcome to the club Kerry. 

I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be one.  All I can do is pass on some warm greetings and hope you get a solution to your problem.

Thanks folks yes I went through the not being in neutral routine already.

i will definitely check my fuses, excuse my ignorance but what’s the SAM

i did notice when leaving my driveway in my truck looking back seen the rear right wheel tilted in at the top like to much camber.

SAM is the fuse box - drivers side under steering column.

The rear wheels do tilt in - normal.

19 minutes ago, smart142 said:

SAM is the fuse box - drivers side under steering column.

The rear wheels do tilt in - normal.

seems more then usual and compared to the other side, I wonder if its affecting the transmission and sending a code...

need to find time to check it, thanks for the responses

Posted (edited) · Report post

the wrenches are just service reminders ...they appear at preset mileage intervals

everytime i got 3 bars it was actuator issues 

i dont see any way a wheel could set off codes unless the bearing is so bad that the abs reluctor ring has been damaged

I am a mechanic but these cars still keep me guessing

Edited by LooseLugNuts

My beater had two busted reluctor rings simply spining in the wind.....still no 3 bars, just a code.....it's an easy fix also, I used Green loctite to seal rings on axle and then painted the entire thing except the reluctor ring where it sends the signal to the sensor. I could see it being a bad job if you can't get use of a snadblaster to get the axle completely clean to start with.

Thanks for all the inputs everybody, tonight had time to first check the easy stuff

- checked fuses all ok

- checked for codes with OBD2 scanner, no codes

- disconnected battery for a bit, still nothing 

- checked the wheels I guess they seem ok must have been the angle I was looking at them pulling out of the driveway.

- have the wrench and 10 comes up now 

have also noticed a weird noise very hard to explain sort of a sizzle trickle electric noise when turning ignition off , a little when turning on but more so when turning off, seems to come from

behind me on the left side underneath. Have heard it before the no start also...

This is the next place I will be looking for any clues...

IMG_6875.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

8 minutes ago, Skerrysmart said:

have also noticed a weird noise very hard to explain sort of a sizzle trickle electric noise when turning ignition off , a little when turning on but more so when turning off, seems to come from

behind me on the left side underneath. 

That is most likely the clutch actuator. It moves when turning ignition on and off.

As LooseLugNuts says - the clutch actuator should be checked. Its possible it has punched through the clutch release bearing.

5 minutes ago, smart142 said:

That is most likely the clutch actuator. It moves when turning ignition on and off.

As LooseLugNuts says - the clutch actuator should be checked. Its possible it has punched through the clutch release bearing.

anybody have photos of this actuator

punched through the clutch release bearing does not sound good, mind you I was clipping along at about 135 clicks that morning...

Sorry to hi-jack, but has anyone seen this youtuve video, I think it's a gas engine but he's speaking about a secondary clutch motor that can be lubricated.....is this something universal to all smarts? Diesel and gas   

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Skerrysmart said:

- have the wrench and 10 comes up now 

That sounds like the service indicator ( one or two wrenches ) doing a count-down in days to when service is required.  Unusual because it normally counts down in mileage until it reaches zero, then does a "count-up" in days for each day after zero until the service is done and the service reminder is reset.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, smart142 said:

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/19141-how-to-lubricate-the-clutch-actuator-450/

The clutch actuator is on a slide, held on by 3 T10 bolts. Use lots of penetrating oil and heat to remove them as they have a tendency to snap off when excessive force is used.

That reminds me, I need to get my drill and tap set out to redrill and tap new holes as one of mine snapped and it was the furthest back one.    Oh joy.....will the fun ever end...lol

41 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

That sounds like the service indicator ( one or two wrenches ) doing a count-down in days to when service is required.  Unusual because it normally counts down in mileage until it reaches zero, then does a "count-up" in days for each day after zero until the service is done and the service reminder is reset.

good to know thanks, probably oil change coming up

Go to evilution.uk.co or something and research the button tapping sequence to clear those wrenches...it's easy once you have done it a few times.

2 hours ago, Willys said:

Sorry to hi-jack, but has anyone seen this youtuve video, I think it's a gas engine but he's speaking about a secondary clutch motor that can be lubricated.....is this something universal to all smarts? Diesel and gas   

That's the gasoline 451 actuator. Never heard anything about lubing a clutch motor.

2 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Closing in on 190k km on my 451, the TCU software in my car works well, never had a no shift into rev or drive.  It is unfortunate M-B did not do a better job of updating the software in the pre 2011s.  I do not plan on tampering with the actuator, in my car.  If it fails I will replace it.  Lubricating the transmission shifter motors seems like a moronic thing to do but it is not my car.

Edited by Huronlad