Bumpymite13

2005 450 Cdi no Auto button

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Folks just a quick question 

I have been driving the car for 2 days now manually shifting all the time.  I was wondering how to get the car into Auto mode.  There is no button on the shifter.  The car is 2005 Pulse coupe with steering paddles, heated seats and 6 disk changer.  It seems like a higher end model for a smart car to not have auto.  Also if anyone knows where to find a cup holder I would appreciate it.  In the Kitchener Waterloo area.  Thanks 

20180614_081625.png

Edited by Bumpymite13

The auto button on the side of the was a $300 option if the car was ordered.

When the smarts were made available in 2004 those wanting a smart could order one to the specs they wanted.

I those not to have the auto function probably like what happened with yours.

I'm in London and have lots of parts, including cup holders. Send me a pm if interested.

I added auto to mine following the guide on Evilution.  https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=electrical&mod=124

Auto function works fine on the diesel, not so good on the petrol Smarts.

I made my own switch and fitted in same position as original auto button switch from Smart.  Soldered a thin flexible two core cable to SE drive below the gear stick.  There is no need for the special kick down accelerator pedal.  The only difference between this and a standard pedal is an additional spring so you feel the kick down position.  I had to get Smart to activate auto and pay a small fortune.  Now you can get auto activated using a cheap Chinese MB Star clone diagnostics kit.

I turned my auto button out of nylon on a lathe. That is why mine is round and not oval like Smart’s own.  

97B93773-9DC1-47FF-9100-C6EED18DE823.jpeg

You may as well use a standard door bell button and place it anywhere in your car. 

Smart uses a tiny micro switch. I used a small tactile switch fitted on a circuit board shaped to fit in the dedicated position on gear stick. 

The hardest part of this mod was removing the special security screws that hold SE drive to tunnel. I made my own screw bit to fit the screws as bit was not easily sourced at the time. 

After activating auto I realised I did not need the auto button at all. By setting it up such that transmission control will default to auto, simply operate paddles or gear shift if you want manual and do not touch them if you wish to stay in auto. 

Anyone know the cause of dash lights, heater coming on when brake pedal applied and key in off position

I would change the brake switch. Its under the car, drivers side. (belly pans need to be rem'd)

Available from the dealer - about $65

Hope it works, its also motor will not shut off unless i release the brake pedal