Rob

"dead" 2008 Smart Fortwo car – PLEASE HELP

11 posts in this topic

My 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion automatic transmission has 128k and it had been working excellent, it is nice and in very clean conditions, I love it

4 months ago driving on the 403 near Toronto Canada with intense traffic, gears started to change up and down, up and down so in one of those standing still traffic moments I put it in neutral position and then in drive position and it didn't go, I turned off and on and gears didn't change from neutral; I turned off again and then it never even started again

I took it to M-Benz dealership in Mississauga (Canada) for a diagnostic and quote and they said:

Front computer to be replaced

Gears motor to be replaced

Starter to be replaced

All this came to $3,500.00 CAD plus tax which is almost the value of the vehicle so they said it is not worth to do the repair

The question is, can I repair the car in a cost -efficient economical way?

Should I sell it as is?

Can you help me and repair it?

I would appreciate your advice

Welcome to CsC.

I would ignore the M-B diagnosis.

Are you the original owner?  Has the transmission control unit software been updated?  How old is the battery?

Thank you Huronlad for your response

I am the third owner and my son the second

The transmission control unit software has never been updated as far as I know

Battery is two years old and works good

I would try disconnecting the negative cable from the battery for 30 minutes or so and see if the car will respond.  If that helps the next step would be to have the software updated.

Thanks Horonlad. I will try tomorrow and will comment here. Thks

Welcome Rob

There are some pretty bright guys over here that hopefully can get you sorted out.  

When you turn the ignition on does the display show the P?

I will ask a question to our experts,  does the 451 model have the same issues as the 450 in regards to the clutch actuator wearing a hole in the fork?  If so should Rob have the three bars showing in his information display?  

Nigel

1 person likes this

I do not recall reading of any 451 with a failed clutch fork.

Did M-B provide you with any paperwork with fault codes to justify replacing major parts?

1 person likes this

Also Rob if you click on Service Options at the top of this page you will find a list of shops that have been helpful with our members in the past.  Uncle Glenn in London probably services more smarts than any dealer and has several parts cars in the warehouse as well.  If he doesn’t respond here in the next 24 hours give him a phone call and pick his brain.  I’ve always found him to be generous with his time.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Thanks Huronlad I didn’t know.  From his symptoms it is the first place I would be looking on the older model 450.

Nigel

Thanks. 

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Welcome Rob

There are some pretty bright guys over here that hopefully can get you sorted out.  

I will ask a question to our experts,  does the 451 model have the same issues as the 450 in regards to the clutch actuator wearing a hole in the fork?  If so should Rob have the three bars showing in his information display?  

Nigel

42 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Also Rob if you click on Service Options at the top of this page you will find a list of shops that have been helpful with our members in the past.  Uncle Glenn in London probably services more smarts than any dealer and has several parts cars in the warehouse as well.  If he doesn’t respond here in the next 24 hours give him a phone call and pick his brain.  I’ve always found him to be generous with his time.

Nigel

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Welcome Rob

Nigel

Possible long shot question. Do you have an ELM327 OBDII code reader attached? I had one installed and it would start throwing P0500 codes and cause the car to drop into limp mode with transmission shifting oddly. Once I unhooked it everything went back to normal. Now I only use it to clear the P2188 code I throw when I drive the car too hard. 

1 person likes this