marchanna

100,000kms on a Smart ED

28 posts in this topic

Hi all,

It’s been a little while, but I thought I would stop in and provide an update.  I’ve had my Smart ED for over 5 years now, and in the next week or so I should be rolling over 100,000kms.

So far:

Except for a couple minor warranty items right after delivery, no issues with the car

Still on first set of brakes - I’m thinking of replacing the pads and rotors because of uneven wear.

Second set of front tires

Third set of rear tires

No discernable battery degradation - in fact, in the last couple weeks I got some of my greatest range ever (90kms on 50%SOC, 110kms on 63%SOC) - personal best was 168kms on 97%SOC. 

Virtually no maintenance only tires, brake bleeds (the cost of brake fluid) and battery dessicant cartridges ($30) every 2 years.  

This has been a spectacular car.  Super reliable with neglible cost of ownership.

I have had an offer to buy it, so I may unload it and buy a new Chevy Bolt.

5 people like this

Brilliant post Marc!

Your car has seen Ontario and East Coast weather, and seems to have not missed a beat.

While I traded my 2013 Smart ED away, I am hopeful it went to a good home.

My 2018 Smart ED is better in many ways, but it doesn't have the raw/unvarnished flavor of the 2013.

Keep us posted on your km, it's the most I've ever heard of on the electric drive variant.

Congratulations. I share your experience. Never had a problem with my 2013, though mine has no where near 100,000kms. I knew I was taking a risk in 2013 when I bought what was then the first electric car in Thunder Bay, but I can say it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And, like you, I'm still getting great range.

1 person likes this

Well, I spoke too soon. My a/c crapped out. I have to figure that out now. 

If it just failed, "out of the blue", I would start by checking the wiring into the temperature sensor in the passenger foot well area.

It makes a hissing sound so I was thinking maybe it has a leak. But I’ll check those items also 

I did like my 2013 Electric Drive.  I may buy another smart electric used someday, just as a run-about.   

My Bolt has been phenomenal though.   200 HP allows you rapid acceleration whenever, and wherever you care to,  it can charge quickly,  it can do long trips, and I can take my whole family in it.  The net result is that our Bolt has changed from being the commuter car to being the family car,  and we've put 33k on it in the last 13 months.

The software has had a few glitches, but these have been updated over-the-air,  so it's not too big of a deal.

--Steve

2 people like this

I hope they continue to improve the Bolt and get production numbers up. You can barely even find one these days. 

Okay, so it turns out it was just low on refrigerant, and the shop turned the key on at some point during the process and it threw the code.  They had difficulty clearing the code for whatever reason.  So we’re back to normal.  104,000kms.

1 person likes this

Glad yours is running well.     We're far behind you at 70,250 km.   Everything OK now that we've had the rear qtr panel and bumper replaced (thanks BMWer <sigh>).   We had a tail light fail and I spent $7 for a new set from CTC.   Everything else is perfect.

The rear wheel bearings have started to gt noisy, so I’ve started shopping around. I can’t believe the price on those suckers!  It looks like I’m going to be anywhere from $300 to $500 for the parts. The bearings don’t have any slop or anything yet, so I’m going to be patient in my search. 

Edited by marchanna

Get them in Europe, about 100 Euros a piece.  The difference will pay for your flight ;)

1 person likes this

That's a fantastic endorsement of the ED.  I've fallen in love with Smart and the whole ethos of travelling about with no more vehicle than is absolutely necessary, and my next car is very likely now to be a 453 ED. 

1 person likes this

I found some on Rockauto for $60 each but I’m not sure about the quality. 

2 people like this

On 8/18/2018 at 2:41 PM, marchanna said:

I found some on Rockauto for $60 each but I’m not sure about the quality. 

The $60 ones do look a bit cheap from the pictures.  The $80 ones definitely look like they have better machining.   Should still be cheaper assuming you don't have to deal with significant duties and/or brokerage fees

So I replaced the rear right wheel bearing yesterday because it started making a metal on metal sounds. And just for s**ts and giggles I decided to cut it apart and take a look inside.  The races looked good but the cage was completely disintegrated. The balls where in pretty decent shape but several were fused to the remnants of the cage. Not a spec of grease in there, it was bone dry. 

1 person likes this

Hmmmm....Time to install some grease fittings I think!  Damn!

Looks simple enough...can't allow this to happen.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Hmmmm....Time to install some grease fittings I think!  Damn!

My thoughts exactly.  I did the same thing with a small trailer that had no grease fittings.  Brand new ..took it home, drilled and tapped it then installed grease nipples.  55 years later, that trailer is still on the road with the original bearings still in it.

1 person likes this

My concern with adding a zerk to these bearings is the risk of getting metal particles inside the bearing. It’s not like you can dissemble them for the mod. Theoretically, with a drill press, depth control, and a steady feed, you could curl a consistent chip that wouldn’t drop any shavings inside. Any burr would likely still clear the cage. You’d want to make sure you cover the tap in grease to catch the shavings or you a roll form tap. At any rate, it’s a professional job, not for the inexperienced machinist.