ffej2016

Dead 12V battery

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went to use my car which I had not used in a few days and the doors would not open; had to open with the key. At first I thought the batteries in the key fob were dead. When I tried to start the car there was nothing; no lights anywhere. I checked the 12V and it was down to 5.5 volts. I believe I left the dome light on for 6 days. I charged the battery which seemed to take a long time and it never did indicate on the charger that it was completely charged. I charged it in the car with the cables still attached. After I started the car the instrument panel displays: HV Workshop with the accompanying large yellow triangle. To the left of that is shows the Red 12V battery symbol with a smaller yellow triangle. The car operates as normal but that display never changes.

Did I damage something by charging it with the cables attached of does it just need to be reset? The car operates normally; I put 30 miles on it yesterday.

Edited by ffej2016
additional information

I don't own a smart ED, but I do own a 2012 Mitsubishi I-miEV which uses a small 30 AH lead acid 12V battery which has removable caps for adding water.

My symptoms were similar to yours and were resolved by adding water to each cell in the battery. Likely time for a new battery, but a year later all is well.

I don;t now whether this applies to the smart 12V battery, but I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning.

Thanks, but my 12V battery seems to be fine. It is the HV system I was concerned about and the display that shows warning symbols and nothing else.

Well, I was wrong. I took it into the Dealer and it was diagnosed with a bad 12V battery which they replaced under warranty.

That battery was less that 4 years old.

smart ED 451 2013

Hi, has anybody seen this warning lamp?the 12V battery was disconnected in the passenger-side footwell, than connected, since that time I have this warning on my display, the car works well anyway.

Any idea how to get this message off, or what to check?

Regards

Zoltan

Hungary

IMG_4751.jpg