Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

My ''new'' car

12 posts in this topic

It was a week ago today and I was on my way to Aurora to visit my daughter who was here from Vancouver.

Beautiful countryside - rolling hills with beautifully kept estates and there was a car for sale at the end of one of the driveways. I recogized it instantly aa a Lexus LS400 - a car that I had driven in over 20 years ago and was very impressed.

I was ahead of schedule and had enough time to check it out. A paper on the windshield said it ''ran like new'' and was smooth,fast, and powerful. This vehicle is fully loaded. It appeared to be in excellent condition with only minor minor rust on the leading edge. The sides and rear were straight, true, and unblemished. Interior was in remarkably good shape.

However it was a 1999 with 335,000 kms. The owner was asking $3200 and it had been safetied.

This really got me thinking. It was over 3 years ago that Liz and I had driven a 1994 Camry from Vancouver to London and that vehicle performed flawlessly and everything worked. In fact it is still running today.

Another Toyota product has been in the family for the past 15 years, has over 400,000 kms and is still going strong. So I knew that a Toyota could last a long time.

I had lunch with my daughter and her boyfriend and got to visit his parents. Looks like the start of a long relationship.

Anyways I couldn't stop thinking of that Lexus. So on the way home I stopped and called the owner. He told me the car had been meticulously maintained and a test drive confirmed that. It drove like new as advertised.

So I gambled and bought the car.

The next day Leadwing was kind enough to drive me to Aurora so I could pick up the car.

We have had the car a car a week now and have put on over 1.000kms and it is AWESOME!!

The ride is very smooth and I can find no faults. It is hard to believe that a 20year old can be this good!

Apparently Toyota spent a billion dollars to develop this model to compete against Mercedes and BMW.

Looking back it would appear that they were successful!!

Liz also fell in love with the Lexus and its V8 power!!!

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS

3 people like this

Nice, enjoy!

The day following Glenn's purchase, I had the opportunity of being a passenger in this vehicle.  All I can say is "Very nice!"

2 weeks have passed and the Lexus continues to impress!! I've gone on a few road trips and can't find any faults.

Yesterday I popped in some cd"s and was blown away by the quality sound!!! Because the ride is so quiet you can really appreciate the music.

Here's a video of an owner who loves his LS400.... 

I drove a lexus suv the other day, it was really quiet and seriously impressed me. When i drove my smart later that day I was trying to pin point where the sound leaks were. The loudest sound while cruising is road noise from the tires, then wind noise from the tailgate, doors, and side windows. Im going to take off the plastic door panels and cover them in sound absorbing mat($35 and easy), Put some sound absorbing foam like in the pic below on the inside of the roof(glass roof with vinyl wrap over top) and on the back of the seats($15), a second rubber/foam door seal all around the lower part of the doors($10). Total $60 cad. Im not sure what i will do about the road noise from the tires. My last car was a straight pipe mx5. No sound insulation with a convertible roof, 3500rpm at 90km/h. It was crazy loud and i grew to hate it, when i first got my smart it was a breath of fresh air for my ears.

fl01b_2___03381.1510465531.jpg?c=2

Convoluted foam like that isn't really "sound absorbing". It's "sound diffusing" and only really good for stopping sound from reflecting and reverberating off hard surfaces. It won't do much to reduce the amount of sound coming in from outside.

It's also not fire rated, unless you get the really expensive stuff that's meant for acoustic treatment of spaces, and not for packing eggs.

thanks for the info, i plan to use it to reduce the noise that has already gotten into the cabin, the smooth glass roof reflects a lot of sound

In my first smart I fitted custom made carpets with a thick underlay and that helped cut the road noise.

When everything opposite the glass is a soft surface, I’m not sure you’ll see much acoustic benefit by lining it with foam. But by all means, knock yourself out if you think it’ll get you the result you want. Just please, for your own health and safety, get the fire rated stuff. 

Good quality tyres at the correct pressures is the most effective means of reducing road noise.  They also bring other benefits.

1 person likes this