Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diesel

Importing a Canadian Smart into the States?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to import a diesel Smart ForTwo from Canada into New York? It's 13 years old and in great shape so I'm considering buying it from a friend up there. I'm just not sure what I'm facing in the States with emissions, duties, taxes, etc. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to CsC.

There are about 100 Canadian cdi in the US currently.  Possibly the easiest way to get into cdi ownership would be to purchase one of those.  If you have not already done so, posting something similar on smart Car of America may be beneficial.

Huronlad is correct.  Technically none of these will be legal to import to USA until they're 25.  The emission certification sticker clearly states they're not intended for sale in the USA.  There are certain states that evidently have loopholes but I don't think NY is one of them.

Interesting.  I have an Ohio title for my Canadian cdi.  Perhaps we are one of the states with a loophole?

I did notice somewhere (warranty booklet, maybe?) that it was not for sale in the U.S.; yet  here it is. 

I don't have mine running yet, so I don't know the rules -- my guess is either it qualifies for a waiver or it must pass Ohio E-Check.

It's a 2005, so I have to wait until 2030 before I qualify for that waiver.  She should run so long....242k km on her already.