Ponyo

New Member, 2005 Smart Cabriolet Gas not diesel?

18 posts in this topic

I own a model 450 smart convertible gas powered and am looking for any info such as maintenance, longevity, other owners. This is a sweet mint condition imported to the US modified to meet compiance through G&K in California.

Does anyone else have one of these or know someone that does.

I need a parts list for maintenance such as oil filter, air filter, type of oil, etc,,

Is the gas engine accept oil filters and such as the diesel?

Thanks for your feedback.

WP_20180802_004.jpg

00O0O_ejxHJjKQAc5_1200x900.jpg

WP_20180802_003 - Edited (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, what are the last 6 numbers of the VIN?  They are decent engines but do need regular maintenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G&K converted just over 1000 of these and so there are some others for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 4 numbers are 1283

Do you have any other information on these? Or know where to look it up. Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

headlights are different...i guess those are the bean type or peanuts (i cant remember exactly what they were called)

 

also reflector/side markers look different and no accessory plug on the front

 

welcome to here

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1283 is not enough to go on to place it in its context with the 150 other G&K cars we have registered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I registered it this morning. Waiting for admin approval 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fit the diesel’s air filter. Looks same as air filter for the petrol engine but diesel air filter has larger surface area hence less restriction. 

Both use same oil filter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah OK, only I'm not an admin so the info probably won't get to me :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied from a post I made on another forum about a year ago:

 

I suppose it may be a bit late since there are not that many 450 Smarts and Roadsters around these days.

If you want a cheap high capacity good filtration air filter for your petrol 450 or Roadster, then go for the air filter specified for the diesel 450.

0301-457-433-044-2.jpg

Why you may wonder?

They sure look alike but are in fact different.

Height, bore and outer diameter are all same. Part numbers are different.

Petrol 450 air filter part numbers:
Smart 000 9997 V 001
Bosch 1 457 433 739
Mann C1036/1

Diesel 450 air filter part numbers:
Smart 000 4591 V 001
BOSCH 1 457 433 044
Mann C1041

The real difference is in filtration area. The diesel air filter has 12.7% larger filtration area.  

How do I know?

I just spent the last few hours counting pleats on various makes of Smart 450 paper air filters such as Mann, Smart's own, Bosch and Blue Print. Petrol 450 air filters have 71 pleats. Diesel 450 air filters have 80 pleats. More pleats means larger filtration area.

Price: The diesel 450 paper air filter is cheap. I only paid £6 today for a Bosch air filter. Bought from the nearest to me garage in Banchory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may wonder why thousands of petrol

Smart 450 owners have bought expensive poor filtration K&N etc sports filters when they could have fitted the higher capacity filter used in the diesel 450 for a fraction of the cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, John the bike here, new member as of 10 mins ago.

Just bought my first Smart for two. 2002 Pulse softouch. Yesterday!

Green/silver, 

Little project, sadly it is now a two cylinder! has a burned out exhaust valve had a look inside plug hole.

She still drives, and after much messing about all the gears work in Auto and softouch.

Maybe as she was standing for a few months.

Seems great fun, can't wait to get her sorted.

John. North Nottinghamshire.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeT said:

Ah OK, only I'm not an admin so the info probably won't get to me :D

Here you are Mile-------   WME4504321J221283

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

headlights are different...i guess those are the bean type or peanuts (i cant remember exactly what they were called)

 

also reflector/side markers look different and no accessory plug on the front

 

welcome to here

Thanks, Where to purchase parts etc,,,?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Copied from a post I made on another forum about a year ago:

 

I suppose it may be a bit late since there are not that many 450 Smarts and Roadsters around these days.

If you want a cheap high capacity good filtration air filter for your petrol 450 or Roadster, then go for the air filter specified for the diesel 450.

0301-457-433-044-2.jpg

Why you may wonder?

They sure look alike but are in fact different.

Height, bore and outer diameter are all same. Part numbers are different.

Petrol 450 air filter part numbers:
Smart 000 9997 V 001
Bosch 1 457 433 739
Mann C1036/1

Diesel 450 air filter part numbers:
Smart 000 4591 V 001
BOSCH 1 457 433 044
Mann C1041

The real difference is in filtration area. The diesel air filter has 12.7% larger filtration area.  

How do I know?

I just spent the last few hours counting pleats on various makes of Smart 450 paper air filters such as Mann, Smart's own, Bosch and Blue Print. Petrol 450 air filters have 71 pleats. Diesel 450 air filters have 80 pleats. More pleats means larger filtration area.

Price: The diesel 450 paper air filter is cheap. I only paid £6 today for a Bosch air filter. Bought from the nearest to me garage in Banchory.

Thanks Tolsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, the registry online that you would have used to register your new smart has not been maintained since 2014 I think...but I have an Excel file with 144 cars on it, which is 19 more than the registry.  IF you want the Excel file, let me know, it has some other data there.  Some of the cars listed below, especially the first ones, may not be G&K conversions!

 

WME01MC01YH006094
WME4503321J020364
WME4503321J023434
WME4503321J028080
WME01MC01YH028601
WME4503321J040715
WME4503321J042681
WME4503321J043280
WME4503321J043357
WME01MC012H052061
WME01MC012H063232
WME01MC011H071494
WME01MC012H071947
WME01MC012H072010
WME01MC01YH072410
WME01MC012H080329
WME01MC012H082015
WME01MC012H101414
WME01MC012H103117
WME01MC012H103184
WME4504321J106341
WME4504321J106951
WME4504321H129700
WME4503321J154671
WME4503321J155527
WME4504321J171887
WME4504321J175367
WME4504321J175916
WME4504321J176018
WME4504321J179522
WME4503321J189725
WME4503321J198842
WME4503321J207092
WME4503321J208493
WME4503321J208529
WME4503321J211111
WME4504321J212152
WME4504321J215322
WME4503321J218784
WME4504321J219319
WME4504321J219345
WME4503321J219450
WME4503321J219460
WME4503321J219555
WME4504321J219691
WME4504321J219983
WME4503321J220081
WME4504321J221500
WME4503321J222082
WME4503321J224223
WME4504321J226196
WME4503321J227369
WME4504321J228739
WME4503321J233219
WME4503321J233372
WME4504321J235492
WME4504321J236013
WME4504321J236776
WME4503321J237224
WME4504321J239965
WME4503301J241590
WME4503321J242542
WME4504321J242705
WME4504321J242900
WME4503321J243110
WME4503321J243149
WME4503321J243179
WME4503321J243214
WME4503321J243333
WME4503321J243458
WME4503321J244138
WME4503321J244353
WME4503321J244384
WME4503321J245247
WME4503321J245838
WME4503321J245878
WME4503321J246038
WME4503321J246370
WME4503321J247113
WME4503321J247234
WME4503321J247269
WME4503321J247629
WME4503321J248354
WME4503321J248658
WME4503321J249624
WME4503321J249973
WME4503321J249978
WME4503321J250036
WME4503321J250320
WME2503321J250442
WME4503321J250454  
WME4503321J250673
WME4503321J250976
WME4503321J251422
WME4503321J251434
WME4503321J251593
WME4503321J251807
WME4503321J252029
WME4503321J252566
WME4503321J253439
WME4503301J255549
WME4504321J255819
WME4503321J256863
WME4503321J257178
WME4503321J259016
WME4503321J259578
WME4503321J261233
WME4503321J261322
WME4503321J261903
WME4503321J262123
WME4503321J262925
WME4503321J263030
WME4503321J263290
WME4503321J263299
WME4503321J264052
WME4503321J264523
WME4503321J266416
WME4503321J273972
WME4503321J277058
WME4503321J277110
WME4503321J277258
WME4503321J278159
WME4503321J278957
WME4503321J279376
WME4503321J279420
WME4503321J279432
WME4503321J280786
WME4503321J282201
WME4503321J282374
WME4503321J284118
WME4503321J285667
WME4503321J285867
WME4504321J285914
WME4503321J285927
WME4503321J289386
WME4504321J295664
WME4504321J295767
WME4504321J299840
WME4504321J302957
WME4504321J303385
WME4504321J303881
WME4504321J304353
WME4504321J305350
WME4504321J226546

Parts should be possible to mail order, and I know for sure Three Point Motors in Victoria BC will send stuff south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Thanks, the registry online that you would have used to register your new smart has not been maintained since 2014 I think...but I have an Excel file with 144 cars on it, which is 19 more than the registry.  IF you want the Excel file, let me know, it has some other data there.  Some of the cars listed below, especially the first ones, may not be G&K conversions!

 

WME01MC01YH006094
WME4503321J020364
WME4503321J023434
WME4503321J028080
WME01MC01YH028601
WME4503321J040715
WME4503321J042681
WME4503321J043280
WME4503321J043357
WME01MC012H052061
WME01MC012H063232
WME01MC011H071494
WME01MC012H071947
WME01MC012H072010
WME01MC01YH072410
WME01MC012H080329
WME01MC012H082015
WME01MC012H101414
WME01MC012H103117
WME01MC012H103184
WME4504321J106341
WME4504321J106951
WME4504321H129700
WME4503321J154671
WME4503321J155527
WME4504321J171887
WME4504321J175367
WME4504321J175916
WME4504321J176018
WME4504321J179522
WME4503321J189725
WME4503321J198842
WME4503321J207092
WME4503321J208493
WME4503321J208529
WME4503321J211111
WME4504321J212152
WME4504321J215322
WME4503321J218784
WME4504321J219319
WME4504321J219345
WME4503321J219450
WME4503321J219460
WME4503321J219555
WME4504321J219691
WME4504321J219983
WME4503321J220081
WME4504321J221500
WME4503321J222082
WME4503321J224223
WME4504321J226196
WME4503321J227369
WME4504321J228739
WME4503321J233219
WME4503321J233372
WME4504321J235492
WME4504321J236013
WME4504321J236776
WME4503321J237224
WME4504321J239965
WME4503301J241590
WME4503321J242542
WME4504321J242705
WME4504321J242900
WME4503321J243110
WME4503321J243149
WME4503321J243179
WME4503321J243214
WME4503321J243333
WME4503321J243458
WME4503321J244138
WME4503321J244353
WME4503321J244384
WME4503321J245247
WME4503321J245838
WME4503321J245878
WME4503321J246038
WME4503321J246370
WME4503321J247113
WME4503321J247234
WME4503321J247269
WME4503321J247629
WME4503321J248354
WME4503321J248658
WME4503321J249624
WME4503321J249973
WME4503321J249978
WME4503321J250036
WME4503321J250320
WME2503321J250442
WME4503321J250454  
WME4503321J250673
WME4503321J250976
WME4503321J251422
WME4503321J251434
WME4503321J251593
WME4503321J251807
WME4503321J252029
WME4503321J252566
WME4503321J253439
WME4503301J255549
WME4504321J255819
WME4503321J256863
WME4503321J257178
WME4503321J259016
WME4503321J259578
WME4503321J261233
WME4503321J261322
WME4503321J261903
WME4503321J262123
WME4503321J262925
WME4503321J263030
WME4503321J263290
WME4503321J263299
WME4503321J264052
WME4503321J264523
WME4503321J266416
WME4503321J273972
WME4503321J277058
WME4503321J277110
WME4503321J277258
WME4503321J278159
WME4503321J278957
WME4503321J279376
WME4503321J279420
WME4503321J279432
WME4503321J280786
WME4503321J282201
WME4503321J282374
WME4503321J284118
WME4503321J285667
WME4503321J285867
WME4504321J285914
WME4503321J285927
WME4503321J289386
WME4504321J295664
WME4504321J295767
WME4504321J299840
WME4504321J302957
WME4504321J303385
WME4504321J303881
WME4504321J304353
WME4504321J305350
WME4504321J226546

Parts should be possible to mail order, and I know for sure Three Point Motors in Victoria BC will send stuff south.

The excel file would be nice. Thanks Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Send me a private message with your email.  I will send it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More