FranRukario

Smart 450 CDI High Consumption and advice for mantainence

79 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm from Italy and a owner of a Smart 450 CDI Cabrio,actually I have some problems with consumption,the last year with a fuel (17 Liters + 5) I could achieve 350-380 Km,but now I'm not able to do more than 300Km,with the same style of driving and same roads,what can I do?

The car has now 190.000 Km and I own it since 180.000,what should I look for to have it in good shape?There's a little crack on the Cylinder Head,is it advisable to spend money and repair it?Can it be connected at the fact that when it's hot (35° nowadays) or I use a car after an hour before I use it,it has some hiccup for  10 seconds and then it goes well.

Thanks to everyone who reply and sorry for my english

Try changing diesel suppliers. I was buying from cutrate seller then switched to Shell and got 50 extra km. Maybe its worth a try

5 minutes ago, Thio said:

Try changing diesel suppliers. I was buying from cutrate seller then switched to Shell and got 50 extra km. Maybe its worth a try

In Italy the gasoline is everywhere the same

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

Perhaps leaking fuel or holed intercooler. 

What shouldn't I look for these 2 problems?

If the intercooler has a hole, oil will slowly drip out and cover the driver's side of the transmission, eventually dripping on the ground.

Leaking fuel would be seen on the engine somewhere and you would smell it!

12 hours ago, MikeT said:

If the intercooler has a hole, oil will slowly drip out and cover the driver's side of the transmission, eventually dripping on the ground.

Leaking fuel would be seen on the engine somewhere and you would smell it!

In reality,I have a leak,I think it has to do with the intercooler o-ring,the most mechanics who look at it said that's normal for a car with 16 year to have these leaks.

What are you thinking about?

The holder of the intercooler (plastic) vibrates and hen wears a hole through the aluminium radiator, which creates the leak.  Big holes mean more oil leaking and lower turbo boost.  I am not certain that it would explain your fuel consumption problem though.

Maintaining reasonable speed with less power results in higher fuel consumption. 

Is engine now lacking in power compared to how it was before?

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, tolsen said:

Maintaining reasonable speed with less power results in higher fuel consumption. 

Is engine now lacking in power compared to how it was before?

I can't really answer you at this question,because I can't see much difference since before.

from my last oil change the mechanic insert in 3.0 L and the leak becomed bigger since then,before it seems like vapor oils,but now when I control under the car,there are spot of black oil.

Could this make the problem worse?

Edited by FranRukario

All 450 diesels I have worked on had holed intercoolers.  The petrol 450 vibrates less but they also develop holed intercoolers as they age. 

Engine oil from crank case breather pipe leaks out of the holed intercooler and your boost pressure will be less than normal so reduced engine power. 

A new aftermarket intercooler costs about £90 in Europe. Misterauto is usually cheapest supplier.

Smart changed the design of intercooler support cradle around 2005.  No need to buy new support cradle. Simply cut off about 5 mm of the plastic that cuts into lower part of intercooler. 

You can check inlet boost pressure through diagnostics or simply by connecting a pressure gauge.

Nissens 96499 is normally the cheapest intercooler. Made in Denmark and very good quality. 

Maximum boost pressure is 1.2 bar. 

Drive flat out up long hill to test. 

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, tolsen said:

Nissens 96499 is normally the cheapest intercooler. Made in Denmark and very good quality. 

Maximum boost pressure is 1.2 bar. 

Drive flat out up long hill to test. 

Hi,what does it mean boost pressure 1.2 bar and drive flat out?

What are you advicing me for the cylinder head?

11 hours ago, FranRukario said:

Hi,what does it mean boost pressure 1.2 bar and drive flat out?

What are you advicing me for the cylinder head?

1.2 boost pressure is maximum pressure  turbo will make. Anything higher leads to limp home mode with reduced power. 

Don’t tough cylinder head without first measuring cylinder compression. 

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

1.2 boost pressure is maximum pressure  turbo will make. Anything higher leads to limp home mode with reduced power. 

Don’t tough cylinder head without first measuring cylinder compression. 

how can I verify this?

Should I control First the condition of my current intercooler before buying a new One?

Edited by FranRukario

May I suggest to purchase a ScanGuageII which will give you plenty of usefull information including boost percentage.....which will show you if you have a damaged cooler.  They aren't cheap, but imho worth it in the long run.  Tolsen may agree or not..?

Depending upon the price you can buy a cooler for, repairing it is also a possibilty if it's not too badly cut into. I have fixed one but that method of fixing seems to be a disbuted method...to each their own. Getting at and removing this cooler isn't easy and will result in plenty of cut up hands....I got mine out without droping the engine at all, but not easy! Probably worth the effort of droping the engine now i have done it. Next time...lol

It will show you your boost levels as in percentage of boost being used, so if you aren't vreating any you'll know your cooler is holed....I do not remember the percentage Smart142 told me it should be for a normal engine but he showed me that this guage will tell you if you are getting enough or not. The guage also finds your fault codes, clears them, shows numerous data areas such as speed, RPMs, actual fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, temperature, and much more, but those are the ones I use it for personally. One trip to a shop will pay for this to find out if you have boost imho.  Just a suggestion, ......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCANGAUGE-II-SCANGUAGE-2-OBD2-AUTO-VEHICLE-COMPUTER-OBD-II-CODE-READER-MONITOR/263867553918?hash=item3d6fbb587e%3Ag%3Api4AAOSwk~NZz543&_sacat=0&_nkw=scangauge+ii&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xscanga.TRS0

1 hour ago, Willys said:

It will show you your boost levels as in percentage of boost being used, so if you aren't vreating any you'll know your cooler is holed....I do not remember the percentage Smart142 told me it should be for a normal engine but he showed me that this guage will tell you if you are getting enough or not. The guage also finds your fault codes, clears them, shows numerous data areas such as speed, RPMs, actual fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, temperature, and much more, but those are the ones I use it for personally. One trip to a shop will pay for this to find out if you have boost imho.  Just a suggestion, ......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCANGAUGE-II-SCANGUAGE-2-OBD2-AUTO-VEHICLE-COMPUTER-OBD-II-CODE-READER-MONITOR/263867553918?hash=item3d6fbb587e%3Ag%3Api4AAOSwk~NZz543&_sacat=0&_nkw=scangauge+ii&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xscanga.TRS0

I understand,but doesn't it connect to a pc?

Or it only will shove me parameters with that display?

Is it compatible only with smart?

Hmmm...It simply plugs into your cars OBDII plug and shows what your car is doing at that time.....no it works on all cars with this OBDII plug.....no it doesn't I don't think plug into a PC.....It has it's own screen to display the information.

Read up on it and what people are saying about it and who uses it...many here already do from what I have read.  Like i said it's not cheap but very usefull!

Edited by Willys

Scan gauge does not work with older Smart Cdi’s such as mine. 

4 hours ago, tolsen said:

So,what's your advice for control the turbo pressure?

Or should I Simply disassemble the old intercooler?

10 hours ago, tolsen said:

However, it works with all smart cdis in Canada.

1 hour ago, MikeT said:

However, it works with all smart cdis in Canada.

Fran’s Italian Cdi might be just as old as mine. Smarts built before 2003 are not eobd compliant so scangauge can’t read live data from engine control unit. 

Easiest way to read turbo boost pressure is of course by using live data in diagnostics. Without such a gadget one can always read pressure with a pressure gauge. 

True, so let's find out what year this Italian cdi is from!

9 minutes ago, MikeT said:

True, so let's find out what year this Italian cdi is from!

It's a german 2002 CDI (was imported)