FranRukario

Smart 450 CDI High Consumption and advice for mantainence

85 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, MikeT said:

OK thanks; the ScanGauge will not work with it.

So,what should I do for testina turbo pressure?

Or it's dire It Will Be the intercooler and can directly order a new One?

If you don't have oil drips splashing on the rear panel when driving, the hole in the intercooler is not large enough to affect the boost level.  This is my experience with two different cdis, both of which had holes in the intercooler, splashes on the rear panel at the end and both were still boosting to almost 1.2 bar even in that condition.  

11 minutes ago, MikeT said:

If you don't have oil drips splashing on the rear panel when driving, the hole in the intercooler is not large enough to affect the boost level.  This is my experience with two different cdis, both of which had holes in the intercooler, splashes on the rear panel at the end and both were still boosting to almost 1.2 bar even in that condition.  

I think the problem is that,because I have oil dropes on the Left side

OK well maybe the hole in your intercooler is larger than mine was. It needs to be changed - whether this is the cause of the bad performance or not.

I think you can inspect condition of intercooler from below the car looking up. Its scoop may have to come off.  I’ll check on mine in the morning. 

As regards using diagnostics to read boost pressure, I believe only MB Star and WinStar can read live data boost pressure on older 450 Cdi Smart cars. The easiest option is therefore reading boost pressure with a pressure gauge. You can T into either hose from inlet manifold to inlet manifold pressure sensor or hose from turbo compressor to waste gate actuator. You need a long enough hose so you can read gauge safely from driver’s seat or bring an assistant.  

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, tolsen said:

I think you can inspect condition of intercooler from below the car looking up. Its scoop may have to come off.  I’ll check on mine in the morning. 

These are some photos from below.

I think in the photo of the intercooler there is some space under it like a damaged one,tolsen can you see it?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KsvwZ7wY273Tze2A_bk7Z1ei9W1uN-UI

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_eG7S-Hrd9tQ3JHaKRBfYgRScR_12eHN

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y11KLaY_Rj2J7YimsoaFCie1uUHiWeAL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e4_nVi_O5J5sirA09RhZdYmXdTvcRXW9

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ksAisHjGngpVVXAVjEk_UxmAbkN3XAg7

It certainly looks like the oil is coming from the cooler location, but the damages will be on the front side of the cooler not the fan side. If that helps you searching for it.

@tolsen I brought It to a mechanic,he cleaned the oil losses,and said that the turbo is leaking and must Be changed

Do You think it's worth to Fix It counting that head cylinder has some problems?

Edited by FranRukario

Wonder how he came to that conclusion. Check your intercooler first. Once intercooler is confirmed tight or replaced measure boost pressure. 

8 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Wonder how he came to that conclusion. Check your intercooler first. Once intercooler is confirmed tight or replaced measure boost pressure. 

I don't know,he said he cleaned all the oil loss and then he saw the oil is dropping from the tube that goes from turbo to intercooler

So why couldn't it be coming from inter cooler and not turbo where it's a known issue, rub through..?  I'd get that intr cooler out and check before buying new turbo!

12 minutes ago, Willys said:

So why couldn't it be coming from inter cooler and not turbo where it's a known issue, rub through..?  I'd get that intr cooler out and check before buying new turbo!

If I could do It in my own,I would,but it's reallt difficult to get out the intercooler

Yes it is but you can do it without dropping the motor, I did and I have meaty hands which bled well...lol.  But it is possible!   You need to take out the EGR valve and it's hoses, so while you are at it, you may as well clean it to like new condition, then take intercooler fan then cooler....it took a long time but if you are patient and persistant it will come out!  And go back in again....lol.  Mine was just about ready to be rubbed through I was lucky. I still cleaned and wired  brushed then sanded the rubbed areas , then epoxied the needed areas the cut back the scoop that does the damage, then job done  ready to reinstall.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Willys said:

Yes it is but you can do it without dropping the motor, I did and I have meaty hands which bled well...lol.  But it is possible!   You need to take out the EGR valve and it's hoses, so while you are at it, you may as well clean it to like new condition, then take intercooler fan then cooler....it took a long time but if you are patient and persistant it will come out!  And go back in again....lol.  Mine was just about ready to be rubbed through I was lucky. I still cleaned and wired  brushed then sanded the rubbed areas , then epoxied the needed areas the cut back the scoop that does the damage, then job done  ready to reinstall.

How can I remove the EGR valve?

I can't find a guide,I tried once to remove ,but I wasn't able

13 hours ago, FranRukario said:

I don't know,he said he cleaned all the oil loss and then he saw the oil is dropping from the tube that goes from turbo to intercooler

What he saw is oil coming from engine breather pipe which wets turbo compressor, inlet hoses etc. More or less normal on these engines so do not spend money on a costly turbo replacement. 

1 hour ago, FranRukario said:

How can I remove the EGR valve?

I can't find a guide,I tried once to remove ,but I wasn't able

You need determination, patience, plenty of good elbow grease and of course the necessary tools. 

23 minutes ago, tolsen said:

You need determination, patience, plenty of good elbow grease and of course the necessary tools. 

Will try again then,the guide I can find in this forum of egr removal is worth for this work?

If you can answer to my PM

53 minutes ago, tolsen said:

There is an intercooler removal guide on Evilution.  Guide does it without first removing EGR valve.  I doubt that is possible.

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=engine&mod=656

I had to take EGR valve out first, there was no way unless I lowered motor to get it out IMHO....It may be easier to lower motor depending upon your skill levels? OR Tools...?  It wouldn't need that much, a few inches would do it I bet.

I see from last photo in Evil's intercooler removal guide that the EGR valve is still in place so must be possible with EGR in place.

20 hours ago, tolsen said:

I see from last photo in Evil's intercooler removal guide that the EGR valve is still in place so must be possible with EGR in place.

Yeah,but You must remove the exhaust instead,I don't know if it's easier

30 minutes ago, FranRukario said:

Yeah,but You must remove the exhaust instead,I don't know if it's easier

Stop moaning and get on with the job. Removing exhaust only takes a couple of minutes. 

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

Stop moaning and get on with the job. Removing exhaust only takes a couple of minutes. 

I have no idea how to and can't find a tutorial on Evolution,monday i'm gonna go in the garage of a cousin Who has all' the tools

1 person likes this