tyc

Upgrade thermostat

62 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, booneylander said:

I'm all for all of this but it seems like a lot of effort. All the CDIs I've had, get quickly up to 80+C operating temp even in cold weather, and warm the cabin quite effectively, AFTER installing the restrictor design that Tolsen figured out. Is there some reason this solution isn't "good enough" anymore?

I agree with Boony.  I admire the effort and the skill level that you can craft items at, but it seems that the amount of effort for the return is very out of proportion.

I changed out the very obviously malfunctioning thermostat with a new OEM one and have not regretted it one bit.  Swap time was minimal and only involved the back of my rather large right hand being sore from forcing it into the space between the engine and front of the engine compartment opening.  Swapped it out in less than an afternoon with no special tools and not having to take other portions of the engine off.  The cabrio now gets hot enough to make the wife happy, and she hates the cold.

Lonnie

2 people like this

This thermostat has a Tolsen restrictor, the previous thermostat had the Tolsen restrictor added.

Today I installed the engine thermostat, of course after fitting the angle grinder 7 times.
The sealing of the engine block and the casing is made of silicone Reinzosil https://www.reinz-industrial.com/EN/PRODUCTS/Sealing-Compounds/REINZOSIL.aspx . With this material I sometimes sealed cylinder gasket ...
In summer 2018 I changed a thermostat and kept close to the top of the Turzii Way Street (7km uphill). The street was created for rally but it is a European national road . I say a bit because it cracked at 500m from the top.

Too much work and money, but now I know that no one has that. If it works properly.
If not, then I will mount one AM / OEM. Costs:
-1 1/2 hours workmanship
-25 $ thermostat
-1 kg antifreeze.

16 hours ago, MikeT said:

I bought it in Toronto and drove it across the USA at -23C - warm and toasty all the time....

I have a new stat.. but cant get past 2 blobs today...  I need to install that restrictor!

Yeah some of them suck right out of the box.  My car had a "lucky" one from the factory.

Today I made a 10km test.
I got 3 blobs in 8km.
Condition ; -2C temperature, clean asphalt (wet),snowfall.
The antifreeze level is the same, G11 antifreeze prepared at -31C.
The real result will be achieved in the summer. Now there are only partial results .

Perhaps too flat where you drive when attempting getting engine up to operating temperature.

This time (in the test) was along a valley (9km). The last km was uphill but it did not matter because they were already three blob.

1 person likes this

Usual .
Twice we climbed the hill (7 km, serpentine), twice was the thermal alarm.
I removed the thermostat and tested the wax element. In hot water at 95C but ... nothing. We repeated the test but the same result. New defective thermostat!
Now I'm going to buy another thermostat, but first check it out if it works.
New AM thermostat faults (Gates and Meat & Doria).
New AM thermostat for WV T5 defect.
I think that only the thermostats that did not pass the test run are sold here.
I still have a variant, a robotic drawer valve. I hope there's no need for the application to be under the car.

Due to the impossibility of purchasing a functional wax element I mounted a Wahler 3146.90D. I begin to believe in conspiracy theory, since not even one wax element works .
In the summer I will resume the project.
Now it was the first time this year that I saw 3 points constantly.
After my back pain is running, I'll put into operation the auxiliary heater.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Edited by tyc

In the summer I will resume the project.
I also want to change the air conditioner radiator, the water pump and check the alternator pulley, maybe I will install the oil heater, a new intercooler radiator.