Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Seat height adjustment mod - new MDC product

41 posts in this topic

Hi all! MDC has released a new product. I know personally I have no need for it but I'd like to know if this is of any interest to folks out there.

It is a set of heavy-duty blocks designed to raise the height of the seat by 30mm. Aparantly for shorter drivers it lets them see better and for drivers with really long legs it makes it so your quads actually rest on the seat rather than being elevated due to lack of leg room (I'm not sure I'm explaining that right).

Here's a photo

Posted Image

Cost is probably around the $80 mark (plus or minus $20). Like most of the parts they make, I'm sure they put a lot of thought into quality and sturdiness.

- Steven

Does it do anything on the passenger side as well?

Eddie

Hmmm... such as just using one pair on the front to tip the seat back a bit??

...is whether this mod has been crash tested or T?V approved...I wouldn't want to mess around with a primary safety item like the seat anchors wthout knowing.

Good question Mike, and I don't know. With that said, I'd venture "probably". The T?V is very strict and they get approval on just about every product they have that requires it. That aproval is very expensive, which is why things are more expensive then you might imagine (the tow bar comes to mind) - and since this product is really quite pricey for a few chunks of metal with holes drilled in them, I'd guess some of that cost is from T?V fees.

I'll find out.

- Steven

Yeah, sure but you were right. T?V means nothing here (legally anyway), and is an "approved" hunk of metal any better than a regular hunk of metal? lol

- Steven

Personally I would prefer being lower rather than higher but thats just me, guess I will just have to settle with lowering the whole car instead ;)

So is it for the passanger side also? And does it come in Red?

(and if it comes in a ejector seat aplication, I might want that too)

Peep :bustamove:

I see no reason why it won't work for both seats... they have identical rails, don't they? (I should know, I've had them out enough times... but can't quite remember).

As for colour (TFM/Peep) I'm sure they come in natural aluminum only. Why would it matter? You wouldn't see them anyway, would you?

- Steven

I M SMRT I'm gona take away all your Cow Bells :devil:

I think I will order one come payday. :lover:

Peep :bustamove:

The cow bells or the seat adjustment blocks?

If I know there is some interest in them, I'll get a couple sets on my next stock order.

- Steven

New photo. seems to be a little more than just a hunk of aluminum afterall. Not sure what that small threaded piece in the middle is.

Posted Image

- Steven

Just a guess (haven't looked under my seat yet), but that's probably just to act as a stud that would keep the back end of the block from swinging side to side, if it engages one of the creases on the rail sheet metal component. Since the block is really only secured at the front end by the hold-down bolt, there'd be nothing guarenteeing that the back end mightn't get kicked out of position.

-Iain

Mmm... I dunno. Why carefully tap and thread just to achieve that? Lot easier ways to achieve it if that's all they are for.

Are there? It is easier to drill/tap a hole and throw in a Loctited set screw than it is to machine two grooves in the side to keep alignment.

-Iain

two things about that... why the nicely countersunk threaded hole beside protrusion? And MDC doesn't do many things without purpose in my experience so far. I bet they have a clever function :)

But I could be wrong.

- Steven

if both holes are the same diameter it could be that the block was intended for 2 models and the set screw acts as an alignment pin as Duck suggested. Forward hole for hte fortwo and rear hole for ????

S

I took a quick look yesterday - yeah, for sure those set screws are for ensuring alignment. There's two cutouts in the rail base that those would lock into to keep the block from swinging out to the side.

The length of the block would remove any shear load on the bolt and instead want to drive the rear of the block up - but since it's long enough the force required to do that rises significantly. Good design. The simplest designs are the ones that take the longest to think out.

-Iain

Having now built my own risers I can say that these are definately a great idea. I feel totally more comfortable up high (I used 1.5in / 38.1 mm 6061 aluminium flat bar we had around the shop), and it makes geting in and out of the car (which was already easy) even easier.

-Iain

really? Good to know Iain!

I've got one set coming to me in my next shipment, which I'll install in my car to evaluate and then either keep or sell discounted. But its good to know there is a benefit to this because conceptually, I just couldn't imagine it being worthwhile.

You want to be my supplier?? lol

- Steven

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More