emilyfs

ONLY KEY FOR 2009 SMART FORTWO STOLEN

29 posts in this topic

Hi there, 

I had my one and only key for my 2009 smart fortwo couple stolen last week. I have contacted the mercedes dealership in London, ON, where i live and it will be $1400 to re program the entire vehicle. Does anyone know a cheaper alternative?? Please let me know! 

Thanks, 

Emily

Hmmmm....I personally hate disturbing my insurance policy but if you must you must!

I would get in contact with Smart142, Glenn, he may be able to help.....he is the go to guy in our area!   Fingers crossed.

1 person likes this

I think you will have to buy at least one key from dealer (Bring passport, registration document, birth certificate and be prepared to jump through hoops).  Then buy a China keyfob or two on Ebay and get a lock smith to copy your keys.

Delphi DS150E can code your Smart to your keys.  Can be bought for about £30.  China keyfob with circuit board about £11.

Hmmm...if you have a MBSTAR system can you do the job?

4 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/replacement-key-will-cost-320-dealer-says-any-alternatives-105314/

2 key blanks should only be about $50.  Someone with a STAR machine or similar should be able to pair Chinese sourced fobs to your car.

Do you know anyone that has a STARmachine?

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/replacement-key-will-cost-320-dealer-says-any-alternatives-105314/

2 key blanks should only be about $50.  Someone with a STAR machine or similar should be able to pair Chinese sourced fobs to your car.

46 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I think you will have to buy at least one key from dealer (Bring passport, registration document, birth certificate and be prepared to jump through hoops).  Then buy a China keyfob or two on Ebay and get a lock smith to copy your keys.

Delphi DS150E can code your Smart to your keys.  Can be bought for about £30.  China keyfob with circuit board about £11.

I have one, Glenn has one, there may be others in the area.

Did M-B quote you the cost for just the replacement key or keys?  An auto recycler may be another quick source for a replacement fob but you would still want the key blanks from M-B that would be matched to your car.

Edited by Huronlad

7 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

I have one, Glenn has one, there may be others in the area.

Did M-B quote you the cost for just the replacement key or keys?  An auto recycler may be another quick source for a replacement fob but you would still want the key blanks from M-B that would be matched to your car.

The $1400 is for the replacement key and to re program the car. I lost my key a couple of years ago and that is what they charged me. 

14 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

55 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Emily .......... Welcome to the club.

As suggested by Huronlad, try contacting "Uncle Glenn" as he is affectionately known, by clicking on the link in this post and send him a PM. 

Also, as Tolsen suggested, you may be required to jump through a few hoops to get a replacement key.  Proper identification helps to prevent unauthorized people from getting a key to your car.  A phone call to the local MB dealership should be able to help with telling you which pieces of identification you will need to bring.  I suggest that you check with Uncle Glenn first though

1 person likes this

Date: December 7, 2012
Order No.: SM-B-80.00/02a
Supersedes: SM-B-80.00/02, August 8, 2012
Group: 80.00
Revision a: Revised with Additional Process Steps. 
SUBJECT: 
MY-All, Model 451 Procedure to Request SAM Password After Customer Loses All Existing Keys 
When learning a new key into the SAM of Model 451, all existing keys must be present. For situations where the customer needs to order new key after losing all existing keys, you can request a special password that allows the SAM to learn new keys without any old keys being available. 
The customer must have the following documentation before you can proceed with the request: 
^ Valid vehicle registration with the customer name shown as the owner ^ Valid vehicle title with the customers name shown as the owner or lessee if vehicle is owned by a financial institution 1. Create a PTSS case for the vehicle with the symptom: Overall Vehicle//Safety and Locking System//Locks/locking/remote closing mechanism/Nonfunctional. 2. In customer complaint enter: Customer lost all original keys. 3. In workshop findings enter: Need password for SAM to learn new keys. 4. Ensure RO field is filled out and matches the RO for the spare part key order. 5. Attach clear and legible copies of both proofs of ownership documentation stated above. 6. You will receive in return a password for use in DAS version 11/2012 and later that will allow you to program key transponder codes in the existing SAM control unit.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/best-option-when-all-keys-lost-102898/

Above is the procedure for M-B to code new keys when both are lost.  I suspect the $1400 price is to replace the SAM, the dealer should be well aware they do not have to do this.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, emilyfs said:

The $1400 is for the replacement key and to re program the car. I lost my key a couple of years ago and that is what they charged me. 

M-B London should have received 2 cut blanks for your car.  If you still have your receipt, I would be asking them what they did with your 2nd blank.

My entire Smart 450 cos less than you're being quoted for just a key.

1 hour ago, emilyfs said:

Do you know anyone that has a STARmachine?

Got it plus Delphi, Wurth WoW, Winstar, Lexia etc etc. So many different diagnostics kits I can’t remember their names.  

I too will be one of those with a STAR machine soon...as i see it far cheaper in the long run than having to use the dealership for such issues.  That is why I'm building my machine as we speak!  I haven't spent that amount yet and i have everything almost, one small item left to get and it's done for far less than $1400!

Guys, it is easy to program a second key with the star. But you need a blade for the ignition.

She needs to go to the dealer.

On another note I needed a second key cut for the Lexus I just bought. My regular locksmith was unable to do it but referred me to another business.This gentleman has a mobile service and came to my house and was able to cut and program the key - all for $70.

Unfortunately he is not able to do Mercedes or smart keys.

I don't know jack shiat about this and admit it now, before speaking.....lol  But why can't a lock smith make a key  from the tumblers similar to a door or any other machine, I have had them made for a bike and a lock set for a door....what's so special about the smart key blade it'self. She would need a blank key and someone who knew how to cut from the tumblers, no..?  I don't know, just curious....?

Then someone with the STAR to activate the key fob right?

Perhaps worth while checking if dealer can supply blade on its own without electronics. The only problem is the long wait for a China key fob. 

Lucky me of course have three working keyfobs for my Smart 450 plus one not yet coded. One hidden at an accessible secret place somewhere on Smart just in case I loose the one I carry with me. Got it in a sealed Ikea plastic bag also containing a couple of do not eat sachets and tied on with nylon tie wraps so it won’t drop off and be lost. 

1 person likes this

How do you use just a key if you can't unlock the car's electronics?  This has me worried somewhat, what if the stupid key fob dies while out and about? Then you're screwed!  I may have to hide my spare.....I used to do the same for my bikes, didn't think of it for the Smart, yes I'm old...lol

2 hours ago, Willys said:

why can't a lock smith make a key  from the tumblers similar to a door or any other machine

How do you get the tumblers out?

46 minutes ago, smart142 said:

How do you get the tumblers out?

I don't know, I'm not the lock smith?  How does any lock smith make keys for automobiles if the keys are lost? Are they all done by computer schematics etc, or do they actually make them through the tumblers? I have removed the tumblers from older vehicles to swap them out instead of swaping the complete steering collumn....OK mind you these were at least 20 year old vehicles, but it didn't occur to me they wouldn't still allow the tumblers to be removed. Weren't they semi locked in my silid rivits you drilled out and replaced with a plug?  It's been a long time since I did one. But that is what i think i remember happening....a solid plug is driven into a keyway type opening which locks the tumbler mechanism in place, you drilled it out and made up a new plug when reassembling.... But to make the key from the tumblers I have no idea other than what i did when i was 16 making a key for my dad's GTI....using a blank key and a magic marker, I simply marked the blank slid it into the tumbler and turned it once to make the key, then used a file to cut where it was marked. Took me 4 hours and suddenly the damned car started while they were watching TV in the house!...lol.  I got plenty of use from that key!   lol.  My dad used to travel the world for weeks and left the poor car alone in the garage.....back in the day, unhook the speedo and make a key, Bob's your uncle, wheels!

I ordered 2 keys from MB of London. Keys only, No FOBS. when I went to the Dealership, they only required my VIN # directly from my ownership along with Drivers License. They didn't confirm it against the car. The keys had to be cut in Germany based on the VIN #. It cost $90 and took a week to receive.

2 people like this

If the above is the case is true  seems like someone is taking serious advantage of a customer....massive differance between the two costs....Hmmmmm....?   Same city same country....so how many MB dealerships can there be..?  WOW...!

41 minutes ago, Willys said:

If the above is the case is true  seems like someone is taking serious advantage of a customer....massive differance between the two costs....Hmmmmm....?   Same city same country....so how many MB dealerships can there be..?  WOW...!

1 hour ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

I ordered 2 keys from MB of London. Keys only, No FOBS. when I went to the Dealership, they only required my VIN # directly from my ownership along with Drivers License. They didn't confirm it against the car. The keys had to be cut in Germany based on the VIN #. It cost $90 and took a week to receive.

21 hours ago, Huronlad said:

M-B London should have received 2 cut blanks for your car.  If you still have your receipt, I would be asking them what they did with your 2nd blank.

1 hour ago, TheHandyHobbit said:

wow this is good to know! Would i be able to start the car with just the key itself?? MB in London definitely took advantage of me a couple of years ago, they should have mentioned this to me...

1 hour ago, emilyfs said:

wow this is good to know! Would i be able to start the car with just the key itself?? MB in London definitely took advantage of me a couple of years ago, they should have mentioned this to me...

Won't be able to start the car without the original Electronic FOB programmed specifically to your cars electronics. Somebody please verify this for me; but I believe you need the actual original key FOB to clone a 2nd FOB using a "Star" or similar machine. I had my original FOB when I had the "Backups" cloned.