Ponyo

2005 grey market import insurance problems?

16 posts in this topic

2005 grey market import insurance problems?

I am having a difficult time insuring this car. When insurance companies run the Vin# it is not recognized. It was ran through G&K for US certification in 2006.

Has anyone found this to be a problem or heard of anyone that has?

Any solutions?

Which insurance do you use?

All the major companies don't want to insure GREY MARKET AUTOS.

WP_20180802_003.jpg

I know someone with a G&K in Ohio same colour I think.  I’ve reached out to him to see if he has a suggestion.  

Nigel

I'm guessing a Passion as it has a silver tridion? Nice little car that.

I just heard from Al, he is with State Farm but he did confirm my suspicion that insurance does vary by state.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I just heard from Al, he is with State Farm but he did confirm my suspicion that insurance does vary by state.

Nigel

Do they recognize the Vin#?  My other insurance company says, if the Vin# is not in the data lookup system then forget it!

Nigel,

When I got the car insured, I only gave them the year and model. I never said anything  being a G&K smart.

Al

Al is in Ohio,  I don’t know if that would make that much of a difference.

I had the same thing when asking about a car from Germany, if it was in their system OK, but if not forget it.

Did the G&K cars use the original factory VINs, or were they issued new VINs after the import process?

You may be able to treat it like a kit car or replica.  I live in Florida and have registered and insured many kit cars over the years.  They are usually assigned a Vin# from the state.  Since you are in the US, if your car has an assigned Vin, you may be able to use that.  Also, I usually insure my kit cars through a specialty insurance company like Hagerty.  I have insured many street rods through them as they all had an assigned Vin.  Good luck.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 1983JZR3W said:

You may be able to treat it like a kit car or replica.  I live in Florida and have registered and insured many kit cars over the years.  They are usually assigned a Vin# from the state.  Since you are in the US, if your car has an assigned Vin, you may be able to use that.  Also, I usually insure my kit cars through a specialty insurance company like Hagerty.  I have insured many street rods through them as they all had an assigned Vin.  Good luck.

It does have an assigned Vin#. I believe it is the same since it went through G&K 13 years ago.ed_xO795ve9jqgwhsES-jUfUWP6Mc_oXmiPbutZ4dmEKhnVAZGziI4SVLNK496zBHhsrR68aNjFQ-C8UvYEjtehzTYVhZkCcteYLdBZ4SwGy4KarHkAqv_16HZ_9mgIREKBEl-ryQbABTCXuoHZ5DeIKfv0ENKtRK6SdXHl4nrGiRKEWcJXqvth1ikSWKHDhLtDilp9m28PS65giAWW5Yha9C9EQ-dx4R_U1u_LtU89_rVPQnLonQ6VP7O9huXr1ChFWbwLSGjz4PYrSE7ImF1yxhktVTWs4Wm6REX8Q2Y_ncqOB9aRxU6BA6364PVONt4LGUbOCcblY551vTT42OA5eFfTbsv6_OMSGJhdES8kCgWJGlgusqOdvashtqjO2ePNPqfDMmeL_9x2Kjogp-togE1_DqMY26VsOxhS8D8tvgGAzvpxeEfBwjDTfLQXxOjGYv7e7mMu1P_bXoTpLp5uuOmgkao-oV5Vvp5_zNJ4H19yBNCO3CFuY1aAiKRaMCdpncwJQ5vpHbDNCnFAwp6cWHNljNdfLpzL3Kw6lfTwG2SbSFQzREqanq67UaNdqNi-bCGH1XHV4ueEl0DTM_OsC0PUWudxwTzEw-u6T=w1247-h935-no

1 minute ago, Ponyo said:

It does have an assigned Vin#. I believe it is the same since it went through G&K 13 years ago.ed_xO795ve9jqgwhsES-jUfUWP6Mc_oXmiPbutZ4dmEKhnVAZGziI4SVLNK496zBHhsrR68aNjFQ-C8UvYEjtehzTYVhZkCcteYLdBZ4SwGy4KarHkAqv_16HZ_9mgIREKBEl-ryQbABTCXuoHZ5DeIKfv0ENKtRK6SdXHl4nrGiRKEWcJXqvth1ikSWKHDhLtDilp9m28PS65giAWW5Yha9C9EQ-dx4R_U1u_LtU89_rVPQnLonQ6VP7O9huXr1ChFWbwLSGjz4PYrSE7ImF1yxhktVTWs4Wm6REX8Q2Y_ncqOB9aRxU6BA6364PVONt4LGUbOCcblY551vTT42OA5eFfTbsv6_OMSGJhdES8kCgWJGlgusqOdvashtqjO2ePNPqfDMmeL_9x2Kjogp-togE1_DqMY26VsOxhS8D8tvgGAzvpxeEfBwjDTfLQXxOjGYv7e7mMu1P_bXoTpLp5uuOmgkao-oV5Vvp5_zNJ4H19yBNCO3CFuY1aAiKRaMCdpncwJQ5vpHbDNCnFAwp6cWHNljNdfLpzL3Kw6lfTwG2SbSFQzREqanq67UaNdqNi-bCGH1XHV4ueEl0DTM_OsC0PUWudxwTzEw-u6T=w1247-h935-no

lTplzDaFUM-SyR3XSIIV0qf3RMzrWYcTYK5SH3f8KiUF2Zss2Gcag0eToBzTeq9TfTilDZ-KN4F0lnnQWReMYh9jfGpcre9tBqoSTiFj4kCWwJow7UTdF2qa-20ybjGNeLaCbujlKKwIjmnyGUPXJQBklADlamJmuwvEoUhClW7NiTrI0uDg-z3s9G_8IdjtilxN8Ch_VcqceY5EK3ff0m_Wu1lzTVkKsJOYzTp_xCtlS5_F7TkFYc0l2fMb5_4xF0mKAX5_7jjiwHK-JYa7WMr31Y5qXhlJcSAGHZSsvmIVauWuwMhfUQbrIjq1P_GCGS3J3mohdkP0_sjsf_RbMDKOGoDRc9fVR2xg9-P8ie1jTuC70wKzJxFqQ26IrtErszw1-sf-q73E8LywpPzcwERmcrUPdXXviE-FVqqB4LSflaBumsxuhi7LyMKjXO5IXeTMADJSJOOU4OjhfaUUsmWvMIJJZz79iSAP6T4cEaIZJdypCQzbP84vZaNL-ZnZzBqJqhOZAh4gcxEJdxs4sfWiNxR5IDNOJil9c-czK9WmwfOY_362MaiKG6ylpkQ2NBaPeNXHSY1QoWSG14h0NukkkiYlsMjhvHA7dsDC=w702-h935-no

It seems strange that they won't accept this information...seems like it was a legit car, not something someone snuck across the border one night type thing......looks like it jumped their hoops etc etc.

Insurance problem solved.

American Collectors Insurance had no problem insuring this. 

Agreed amount and up to 7500 miles/year.

3 people like this

Glad to hear.  Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

Nigel

Thanks,

I might consider selling this one as I already have an 08 with very low miles.

If you know anyone interested have them PM me.

6 hours ago, Ponyo said:

Insurance problem solved.

American Collectors Insurance had no problem insuring this. 

Agreed amount and up to 7500 miles/year.

Glad to hear!!  I thought specialty insurance companies would be the way to go.