Willys

Computer folks, another ???

8 posts in this topic

OK, lets try again....
I'm on the hunt for a VMWare program to run my STAR program off of.
I know enough to realize what VMWare is and the basics on how I need to use it.
The next question is....where do i buy it from or...Hmmmmmm....get it from that is a reliable source?
Do these programs come on sale around the typical sale periods like Christmas etc etc? OR are they simply not something that goes on sale, you buy it and thats it?
Is there different types of VMWare...? That's something that just popped into my empty head..?  Or are they all basically the same?

My needs are wanting to protect my STAR system from the internet at all costs!    Don't ask, I won't tell......lol. Type of thing.

So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as I will buy this soon from somewhere or I may wait until a sale does show it's ugly face...lol

All suggestions and recomondations are greatly appreciated as usual.

Jonathan

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hmmmm....?

OK, I hadn't thought of that.....I was expecting my copy on my new PC to instantly transfer onto the VNWare program...?  You're telling me this isn't how it works? I need to have the actual licienced windows software etc etc to install after the VMWare is loaded?

I own 2 PC's here legit both with windows programs....I don't recall getting any discs etc to load onto the hard drive...Hmmm....Now i need to search.....augh!

Can  one win program not transfer over to this VMWare from one PC to the other? Both are mine no?  Nothing pirated.

Edited by Willys

Any "virtual machine" is essentially a software version of a real computer. The "virtual machine" is hardware emulation with essentially a blank "hard drive" image. You have to install an operating system and whatever software you want to use. 

Windows is not a "program," it is an operating system. You cannot "transfer" an installation of Windows from one computer (real or virtual) to another, since device drivers will all be different. It needs to be installed and configured fresh.

You may be able to re-use one of your existing license keys to install Windows on a virtual machine. You'll just need a Windows XP SP3 installation disc.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2139983/compatibility-with-security-how-to-run-windows-xp-in-a-virtual-machine.html

1 person likes this

OK, makes sense , so now to find that program....I'm sure we have one somewhere here, we have bought enough computers over the last 10 years....lol.

OK I have a win 7 pro...good enough?

You simply download and install VMware on your Windows 7 machine.  

I assume you are attemping to get Star to run.  Mine runs as virtual XP machine on a Dell 430 running windows 7.  Had great problems getting multiplexer to connect to Dell's serial port.  Worked with USB to serial adapter but serial port is less likely to drop off since physically screwed on.  China support tried but no success.  Got it set up on serial port eventually having changed some setting in bios of the virtual machine.  Main obstackle was getting into bios and the only way is to program in a time delay in configuration file for the virtual machine.