dguy

tires
155/60 front + 165/60 rear: ESP/ABS issues?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

G'day,

Does anyone know if pairing 165/60 rear tires against the OE 155/60 front will cause undesired ESP/ABS intervention? 

Last season's Hakkapeliitta R2 fronts are in great shape, but the mystery brand rears are done and Nokian does not provide a the OE 175/55 rear tire.

165/60 rear should turn approximately 12 revolutions per km less than the fronts, which is double that of the OE 175/55 rear.  Whether or not that will trip the nanny system, I have no idea.  Hopefully someone out there has tried this combination and has some feedback to share.

Edited by dguy
fixed tire size in second sentence.

Thanks, that's a similar calculator to what I used earlier to determine the revolutions per km change.  Not that I would expect them to, but neither calculator answers the question of at what point a deviation from the OE tire sizes will confuse the ESP/ABS system.

As for the width change vs. potential handling issues, it's a double-edged sword.  With a wider (winter) tire comes a greater chance of floating on top of snow or slush rather than slicing through it and making ground contact.

Way back in 2008 I put a set of winter tires on a 451 - 5 in. rims in front, 6 in. rims in rear, stock tire size in front, the rears were 175/65 vs. 175/55.  That was enough to set off the ESP and put the car into limp home mode.  Swapped the rears for stock size tires and problem solved. :)

3 hours ago, jwight said:

although narrower tires on the rear could be a handling issue:

145/65R15 front/rears in the winter since 2009, still here to tell the tale.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, jwight said:

Way back in 2008 I put a set of winter tires on a 451 - 5 in. rims in front, 6 in. rims in rear, stock tire size in front, the rears were 175/65 vs. 175/55.  That was enough to set off the ESP and put the car into limp home mode.  Swapped the rears for stock size tires and problem solved. :)

So the "trigger point" then lies somewhere between 6 rev/km and 39 rev/km.

145/65 front + 175/55 rear (stock 450): rear turns 3 revolutions per km less than front

155/60 front + 175/55 rear (stock 451): rear turns 6 revolutions per km less than front

155/60 front + 175/65 rear: rear turns 39 revolutions per km less than front

155/60 front + 165/60 rear: rear turns 12 revolutions per km less than front

Which side of the border the 12 rev/km combination is on, is the question.  The answer to which may be buy-it-and-try-it.