Cabriolet roof cable repair kit?

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Canadian 2005 Smart fortwo CDI Cabriolet

i was looking for the soft top cable repair/replacement kits

A fellow hear said the Canadian diesel had 2 cables and one motor

I've looked on line and found a couple kits in the UK

here's one:

https://www.smarttune.co.uk/product.php/956/smart-car-cabrio-roof-cables-motor-repair-kit-fortwo-up-to-07

I'm wondering if there's a reasonably priced source locally (in Canada)?

or a good place to scavenge from wrecked smarts in Vancouver area?

My brother trying to fix a previous owners mangling of the ends of the cables ended up just possibly wiring bthe roof shut. i don't care about having a convertible but in heavier rain I get leaks on both front corners where the top meets the windshield.

Edited by Toxophilite

As discussed in a previous post, if the original cables are still in place, they may be misaligned, which is a relatively simple matter to fix by turning the motor shaft with a hex key to to remove one of them and re-align it.

Putting one of my cars through a car wash also showed a leak. There was considerable debris in the rubber flashing around the front of the soft top where it closes. Cleaning out the debris stopped the leaks.

The early cab roof repairs(>2007) mean you have to wind the roof back and release it and eject the top canvas out.  Yes SMART  do a kit of this and it is about 1-2 hours to fix and is fine but the roof will be slower because of only one motor but by keeping the engine running it will give it the power to close.

you can lock the roof down by a torch and small screw driver and move the cable end plastics into the locked position and pull the plug off the motors in the roof.

1 hour ago, smartman66 said:

you can lock the roof down by a torch 

Torch = Flashlight

baha Torch = torque

I believe the electric mechanism for the roof has been disconnected at the battery

I haven't tried to open it to check it out because we're having a rainy spell and I don't have a covered area to leave the car. I'm hoping I get a few days to a week of drier weather that I can use to explore this further

The annoying thing is I'm looking to fix someone else's 'fix' which is at best confusing. I'll get a picture up too.

Edited by Toxophilite

Here's some pictures of the front seam. i was curious if the roof was supposed to overlap the rubber side seam for the last 6 inches or so like it does in these pictures. It looks wrong to me..but I certainly could be wrong myself!

smart roof passenger.jpg

smart roof drivers.jpg

smart roof passenger.jpg

1 person likes this

Okay nobody has a comment on this, no older cabriolet owners out there? If there is could you please take a picture of the front side seams on your smart car so I can see if this is how it is supposed to look. I've looked  a lot online for photos but no dice.

Thanks

It looks similar to mine.  The front few inches do overlap the side seams.  Yours almost looks more centered than mine.

As mentioned previously, leaks at the front corners of my roof, as shown by a trip through the car wash, were fixed by cleaning out all the dirt and debris which had collected in the rubber sealing strip at the front of the roof.

I own an '06 Cabrio and to me, it almost looks like yours is off the rails.  I am not a mechanic, but mine sure doesn't look like that.  Photos below .. I know, the roof needs cleaning.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by Leadwing
Adding photos

The shot soft top has shrunken somehow.  Need a new top.

Edited by MikeT

The soft top fabric is cheap about £400 total for front and rear section if bought same time. 

Hmm $700 Canadian At this point too expensive though I appreciate the insight

It could be gunk on the seals though the area was washed

unfortunately I can't open it right now, or at least not till I get at least a week of dry weather and have a cable repair kit handy as I know that need s to be fixed too.

Here's a question:

Can I latch the roof up properly with the cable ends being broken. (I didn't break them, I was told by my brother that the original owner had and he couldn't fix them and he couldn't find parts for a reasonable price..taht was about 5 years ago though.)

No it’s not a problem I normally loosen off the internal tensioner straps on both sides they are at the back then operate the roof with the engine running for max power wet the canvas top really well and when it is closed leave it overnight and when it dries retighten your internal tension straps and you are done no need for replacement canvas which is over £700 +vat in England I have loads 2nd hand if needed

Another thing I used to find was when people took the roof bars out they would put the roof bars back folding over the front where it joins the A puller sealand also where the front of the roof lands on the part above the windscreen 

Just e mail me if I can help I will I have been dealing with smarts in the Mercedes Benz dealership since 2000

Hmmm....seeing as winter is fast approaching and IF you wanted to get a new roof maybe for next summer, I'd silicon this one down and move forwards...lol. Just to try and stop it filling the car up in the winter months.....that is IF you had any idea of buying new fabric next summer or spring?  What about a wrecked soft top, the fabric my be usable compared to yours? Yours does look seriously sun damaged now...sorry.

Maybe it can be soaked and stretched back but from where I sit it looks very very tired.   Just a backyard mechanic semi temp fix that'll cost almost nothing for now...?????   Just some extensive clean up next year if you fill in all the tracks with silicon. You could simply use draft stop which is how i plan on sealing my winter beater's top to make damned sure it doesn't fill up with water...lol.

Draft stop is the same as silicon but you can peal it back up after using it. Liquid weather stripping.

Sorry if I have not made it clear 

the end of the cables have a diamond or teardrop like an American football where a plastic part links them when it gets to the area where the roof meets the screen it locks into the car and the cables are pushed further on to where they pull the last inch forward and down sealing the front of the roof if you have like a machine gun noise it’s the cables slipping against the motor gear that’s why the cable kit supplies a new gear motor black cog because it’s teeth are deeper to bite into the cable spiral stopping the noise and the roof going out of sync which gives it this issue sometimes you get just one side go forward not 2 

taking the motors out releases the cables so you can use a torch and screwdriver to push the mechanism forward to manually lock it down then it’s watertight 

Cool, Thanks very much, If we have a few days of dry weather I'll probably give this a try. It seems to have not been leaking as much , if at all lately but I'd like to have a look at it anyway. the information is very helpful.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:27 AM, smartman66 said:

taking the motors out releases the cables so you can use a torch and screwdriver to push the mechanism forward to manually lock it down then it’s watertight 

On 9/12/2018 at 3:59 PM, Toxophilite said:

baha Torch = torque

Torch = torque????

Once inspecting an oil rig in off Louisiana, my torch disappeared so I asked the toolpusher if I could borrow one.  He got a brand new one out of their stores and said:  Son, this is not a torch, this is a flashlight, torches are for burnmarking "somebody".

Sorry, could not put on print the word he used for racial reasons.