TO Ed

Intercooler appears shot

9 posts in this topic

Day 3. After removing and cleaning intercooler found 7 vertical cooling fins worn through and another 4 with wear marks. So likely time to get a new intercooler. Dealer wants $452.31 Canadian plus 13% tax. Can't find a cheaper source. Any suggestions? Car is 05 smart fortwo diesel in Canada.

P_20180921_103513.jpg

P_20180921_090510.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just a question.

Does it matter if the cooling fins themselves are damaged?

P_20180921_103513.thumb.jpg.599d177027dba568686de04d931b34bd.jpg

Edited by smartdriver

Damage looks old. Likely occurred when originally installed in car. Those fins likely do not work to provide cooling. Probably not relevant as the intercooler was over 90% plugged when removed. 

As long as there are no holes give it a good wash and reuse.  If there is a hole Willys posted how he fixed his a couple of weeks ago.  Then he found a car in the scrap yard with all kinds of new parts including a new intercooler that now reside in his garage.  German Auto Parts in North York sell the intercooler for about a hundred less than the dealer.  https://germanparts.ca/parts/smart/2006/air-intake/intercooler

Nigel

That doesn't look as bad as the beater's cooler was before I fixed it!   Clean it within an inch of it's life, stainless steel wire tooth brush from Princess Auto or CTC and cut out the lower 1 inch of fins so you can get arounf those damaged tubes, It won't hurt the cooling of it imho. Then get the dreaded JBWeld  slower non putty epoxy and carefully coat it until it's completely covered in a good solid lump of it,   What is your time worth, is what it comes down to it...it took me a few days to allow each coat to dry and get it finished. Then cut that frig'in scoop back so it can't ever touch the cooler again!

PM me if you like and I'll explain it better then.

Thank you Nigel and Willys! Excellent information. I will try fixing it. I am retired so my time is plentiful.

Thank you tolsen! I knew you would know where to get the intercooler for the best price. I will try to fix old intercooler first. If unsuccessful will order $193 part. Thank you, thank you, thank you!