Toxophilite

2005 fortwo performance confirmation needed

14 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 fortwo cdi cabriolet that I have been driving for that past month or so

Cool car!

I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and cleaned the EGR valve which was stuck

This cleared the engine light and all the codes, It currently is showing no engine check light and is not showing any codes

As I've never driven one of these of any sort before I want to check if the performance it's displaying is normal.

So:

When I start off in 1st on any sort of upwards incline, after the hill assist goes off it takes a while to get rolling at a decent speed. Like an semi trailer but a faster.

There's a bit of rumble prior to it getting going but otherwise shifts seem good.

For shifting I was trying to keep it to around 2200 RPM as that's what seems to be suggested for good fuel consumption

Much below 2000 and it's bogging down though

Generally I shift around 2500-300 so that when it's in the new gear it's around 2000- 2200

For hills it needs to be around 3000 RPM to keep from gradually slowing down.

For example if I start a decent sized hill in 4th at around 2500 Rpm, by the time my momentum starts to slow it wants to be in 3rd at 3000-2500 to maintain the speed limit of 50km.

Is this normal or should I look for other issues?

It's difficult to generalize about that hill performance - it will depend upon how steep the hill is.  The normal (not remapped) smart is very slow, and the remapped one is slow.

Hills vary in gradient. How about checking  acceleration on a flat road? You can compare with mine, a standard Smart 450 and not remapped. 

That lag off the start you are experiencing seems to sound like mine......your comparisn to a semi is about correct.....imho.  When gauging when to merge or start out into traffic one must plan for this 2-3 second start up lag or get caught dangerously poor merge into traffic. Possibly forcing approaching vehicles to slow or hit you. I have been caught a couple of times and it's not fun for all concerned...lol.  I simply hang my head in shame so to speak and appologise for the mistake....augh!  I agree that 3000RPMs is the best level if driving up any steeper incline or as you say things start to slow depending upon how steep the incline is. I find it will easily hold the 3000 mark on any hills I have around my area .  Will find out about real hills next summer when I come out west. Also towing a small trailer.   Acceleeration will depend upon how far you are willing to push the RPMs imho. I rarely drive it above 4000 unless caught trying to get off the mark up to the speed limit .

Hope this helps but your explanation sounds about right...this is a slow off the mark machine but once up to around 50-60 KPH it is as fast as any other smaller vehicle imho and I am satisfied with it's accelleration. BUT mine is remapped so am going off that fact....I still recon t's not bad for an 800cc car....it'll cruise all day at 120 and get decent MPG doing so, but if you stick to the speed limits on releatively flat lands, I can get 80 MPG out of it.  IF seriously after MPGs I can do better even still but it's a definate chore so not worth the bother imho.  When it costs you less than $20 to fill to do 400kms I laugh when visiting the gas station...lol

So, ZERO complaints from me....

I appreciate the info and I definitly have no complaints

I was pondering a small trailer too but the start in first gear on any incline makes me leary of pulling something, though I know people do it.

I like how Tolsen is bouncing the rpms up to 4500. When I drive mine that hard it definitely is perkier, but I was trying to squeeze good mileage out of it.

Both of mine seem very happy running between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm.  I generally shift at about 2,500 on flat terrain, but if it's hilly, I run it up to 3,000. This keeps it in the 'power' range and doesn't fade when shifting to the next higher gear.   Works nicely for me :)

The stock car does the 0-100 km/h run in about 19-20 seconds and remapped ones can do it in about 14-15.  So, about 3 seconds slower than my 52 year old Peugeot, even if remapped.  And the Peugeot is not a quick car :D

Beware Youtube videos of one way 0-100 km/h runs.  "It was flat, I promise!" ;)

Some years ago, Steve Morehouse thought that 450 cdi remaps were bunk and challenged a remapped 450 cdi to a head-to-head drag race in controlled conditions.  His "clock was cleaned", as they used to say, and Steve became one of the biggest resellers of remaps after that.....

Cool

I have no problem with the car especially I just have NO frame of reference as to what it's supposed to be like. It hasn't been serviced for a while so I'm making sure it's behaving as it should.

Mine is faster than most remapped Cdis thanks to freewheeling pulley on alternator. Does not increase power but results in noticeably faster gear changes shifting up. 

Best downloading video then view it. 

Road is flat but slopes a bit at the bend at the end of video. Does not invalidate the test because then I am slowing down. 

A somewhat embarrassing update to this:

When I removed cleaned and the replaced the EGR ,apparently i didn't have the big fat rubber hose on the bottom fully engaged with the retaining spring clip and it had come loose.. Not all the way out  but most of the way. i noticed because it seemed to have a small  oil/diesel leak developing. A hour of cursing swearing and using some unconventional methods( go-bars) I manged to get it fully inserted and the clip properly engaged, Performance is much better, I can now cruise up the long and relatively steep hill up to my place in 4th gear no problem..ooops!

They are sloooow.  But if it's moving forward with no juddering, missing, or bogging down then all is probably working as it should.

So reading more than one thread on performance etc , I will add my own experience so far with my formerly molested 05 Cabriolet CDI. 

Not remapped as far as I know, I've added a free flowing Stainless 2 chamber exhaust, have a cracked exhaust manifold I've yet to replace, also a leaking intercooler , EGR codes showing even though I've resolved all clog issues it had. I commute 400kms a day 4 days a week on the 401 hwy. I have turned the turbo up 1.5 turns of the adjuster to shorten the blow off rod and can usually maintain 120kmh just feathering the throttle in flat areas. pushing the throttle slightly once above 120 I've managed to blast(relatively speaking) through traffic at 135-140 and have buried the needle easily on these occasions.  

Where in southern Ontario would be the best place to find a remap/programmer? I know I could get a lot more out of this turbo oil furnace with the remaining repairs done and a remap.

Contact Glenn.... Smart142.... in London.

He is the see-all, know-all and do-all of anything and everything ‘Smart’ in the area.

He’s remapped all 3 of my cars, and dozens of others over the years.

Tell him I sent you.  Maybe he’ll buy ME a coffee for a change.  😜

2 people like this