Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sydney

fix AC or not

11 posts in this topic

i live on the east coast of Nova Scotia,  where AC is not really needed.

i might just remove the AC system from my 06.  it is not charged and it looks like the belt was removed a long time ago.

i dont really want to pay to charge it, replace a belt and who knows what else.  if i dont even need it.

whats everyones thoughts on just removing the system all together.  (pump, lines and condenser)

Generally, the '05 and '06 smarts had issues with their A/C units.  They would not hold a charge.  "Most" stopped working and even though there was a recall to fix the problem, even the "fix" only lasted a few months.  Paying to have it recharged and repairing the belt would be a waste of time and money.  I AM NOT A MECHANIC, so I don't know for certain if removing the entire system altogether would have any effect on the rest of the car, but it shouldn't. :dunno: 

That said, I have two diesel smarts.  My '05 had issues with the a/c and it was sent in for the factory recall to solve the problem.  The fix lasted about 4 months.  My ;06 smart has never had the a/c serviced and works flawlessly. Go figure!

IMO, you are in an area where a/c isn't usually needed, so I wouldn't bother fixing it unless you are planning on moving to a much warmer area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use Duracool or Red Tek as a refrigerant in my smarts.

It has a larger molecule, is under less pressure and is much slower to leak.

Although mine usually lasts for a couple of years before needing recharging, it costs only about $20 per refill, which if your air conditioning system doesn't have a massive leak or compressor problems, should last all summer.

What advantage would be gained by removing all the air conditioning plumbing?

Edited by smartdriver

The question is, why carry it if you will never use it ever? I'm not an air con guy either. I do not use it but on the very hot days, humid that is even a slight cooler breeze is almost worth keeping it and hope it still works when you turn it on. BUT, if your car has had it disconected for a while I'll bet it's pooched in some form or another. I know you are chest deep into working on the car and possibly have it all where you can see and reach touch it...therefor I'd also be thinking in the same way you are.  Even for the first sentence, why carry it...if you do remove it what will it effect?  Will it be easier to get to something else? W#ill the rad work better without the air con  infront of it?  I know my air con  is showing signs of road rash debri hitting it so it's saving the raditor somewhat?  IF I were you and it's all easily touchable, yep I'd rip her all out!  Just think, that's maybe 10lbs of crap, equaling what maybe another 1/10th of a MPG...lol.

4 hours ago, Sydney said:

whats everyones thoughts on just removing the system all together.  (pump, lines and condenser)

Go for it!  decreases weight and also gives easier access to the starter!

and you might get a few bucks for the scrap aluminum.

OK, here's another twist.......do you believe in Global Warming.....?

18 minutes ago, Willys said:

OK, here's another twist.......do you believe in Global Warming.....?

Don't start..

What...?   IF we do get global warming he won't need A/C he'll need a lift kit...lol.   I'm making one as we speak, slowly!   Seeing as I don't worry about water levels that much 1000 yards from Ontario's largest lake....it is loosing water not gaining it year by year!......So no worries about Global Warming...lol.   Not that humans can alter anyway.

Ball's in your court, are you going to swing or take a knee...lol...J/King

Our 05 diesel smart ac worked until 2 years ago. (History: Was repaired once under warranty many years ago. Red tek recharged by myself to extend life about 2 years. Unfortunately even Red Tek stopped working.) So I ripped out compressor on the weekend. Saved 10 lbs weight and drag from belt. We live in Toronto where heat and humidity means car will no longer be used during hot summers. It is an old car. No point in spending $ to fix. My vote is to rip it out.

well the votes are in,  i am going to remove the system.  if anyone needs any of the parts from it, let me know.

i might be able to mail it, within reason.